General discussion

WKSTN 390 doesn't recognise keyboard signals for sign in

After my Dell WKSP 390 description flahes up it then goes to Type in password and hit enter. My keyboard commands are not registering on the screen so I can't sign in.It now shows,(after description flashes up) press F1 or F12 to enter setup.After pressing F1 I start hitting F8 for safe mode and it brings up the prompts for safe mode or "Last known good config for windows etc" .If I select safe mode in any mode, ie,"Safe Mode" it takes me back to hitF1 or F12 etc.
Is any one familiar with this problem ? if so please help.
Regards to all..Rob M

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: WKSTN 390 doesn't recognise keyboard signals for sign in
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WKSTN 390 doesn't recognise keyboard signals for sign in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is this a WINDOWS PASSWORD?

If so I've seen this when folk installed that BAD logitech keyboard driver.

Repair of that issue is fairly expert and your post tells nothing about what CDs and more so I'm left to guess far too much.

As it stands, with system restore being one option, reinstalling the OS looks like the next option with only this much story to work with.
Bob

- Collapse -
WKSTN390 "Cant log in"

Thanks for the reply Bob,more info WKSTN390 with all required updates,running XP Pro,and using IE 8 and using all Dell ie, Dell monitor,keyboard and mouse all usb connected. Currently:Attempted Windows repair using a Dell installation Windows disc, after getting to the options after repair run (boot to windows)this shows;"Type EXIT to quit the recovery console & restart the computer, "1:C\Windows....Which Windows would you like to log onto". to cancel press enter I can only type "C" and my keyboard commands don't appear on screen. I can hit "ENTER" and cancel, which closes the screen and reboots back to the black Computer description screen and offers "Strike F1 to continue,F2 to run setup and the cycle starts all over again.I don't want to do a complete reinstall and lose all the new photos fies etc....ANY HELP PLEASE

- Collapse -
Why would we lose any files?

Over in the CNET Storage forum we cover booting a no-install no-skill use of UBUNTU bootable CD to copy files out.

Why isn't a boot to SAFE MODE and system restore an option?

Why isn't removing the password with NTPASSWD an option?

Why isn't some BIOS keyboard LEGACY setting an option?

Sorry for all the questions as I don't have much story and don't know what skill level or support there is. The fact this is not the usual Dell gave me some thought this is from an expert user or an office with IT support.
Bob

- Collapse -
WKSTN 390 Repaired and running

Further to the origional problem of not being able to boot up and bypass the Administrators password,I couldnt access "Safe mode" it would not boot from any "recovery discs" or boot from the Windows discs,it wouldn't accept any commands from my keyboard,just continually asked for the Amin/pswrd. I finally spoke with a tech from Dell who talked me thru the following; open the case and remove the battery,move the PSWD Jumper to the two pin slot above it,change boot up sequence to "Boot from "floppy or CD" and run the Dell re-installation CD,after doing all this it rebooted to windows and all I had to do was re-download my driver updates and a couple of other minor items,I retained all my files including pics and videos,powered down,moved the PWS Jumper back,replaced the battery and rebooted,all is now well.I pass this info to you as it may help someone "down the track", thanks for your thoughts, this was a hard one for me as my knowledge is somewhat limited but very pleased that I was able to do this repair (with help) and saved an expensive trip to the Putor Doctors,the last time I had a similar problem I lost all my info and had to do a complete instal, Kind regards, Rob M

- Collapse -
Sorry I didn't note that.

I did ask if this was a Windows Password and the jumper noted clears what we know as the BIOS Password.
Bob

CNET Forums