Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Witness breaks silence - backs Kerry's story

William Rood, 61, said he decided to break his silence about the Feb. 28, 1969, mission because reports by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are incorrect and darken the reputations of veterans who served with Kerry, according to a report in the Tribune's Sunday editions.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/2751054

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Witness breaks silence - backs Kerry's story
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Witness breaks silence - backs Kerry's story
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Witness breaks silence - backs Kerry's story

In reply to: Witness breaks silence - backs Kerry's story

And I heard an interview with his skipper and he backed kerry up.

Collapse -
Rood was on a different Swift Boat ...

... gee, I thought that discredits anything he has to say. Of course to the hypocrits trying to silence 200+ vets such details don't really matter. I think they should ALL get their stories out and let the chips fall where they may. Kerry is the one that wants to run on his 4 month tour of duty. Then sign the Form 180 Senator and let's get ALL the facts.

Collapse -
Re: Rood was on a different Swift Boat ...

In reply to: Rood was on a different Swift Boat ...

Evie, Unlike 90% of those excoriating Kerry, Rood was THERE. You folks woulkd apparently believe that the sun rises in the west if a Kerry-hater said so!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
BS

In reply to: Re: Rood was on a different Swift Boat ...

Rood was there, so were many of the SBVFT. You don't get it do you? It's simple hypocrisy to say that those not actually on his boat at the time are not credible if they contradict Kerry, but have instant credibility if they appear to support Kerry. The sheer numbers on each side certainly tilt against Kerry.

Now, AFAIC, I listened intently very early on as Kerry was confronted with his Senate testimony (and prior MTP appearance) on MTP. His first response? What happened to all that dark hair. That is very sad. As someone that was only learning of his record that told me all I needed to know about the man. He surely should have been prepared to explain himself.

Kerry is threatening to sue the media outlets that carry the ads, and the publisher. If he is THAT sure of himself, it need'nt come to that. Sign the form 180, or sue the authors/vets themselves for libel.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Rood was THERE

In reply to: Re: Rood was on a different Swift Boat ...

I see. But because he appears to be supportive of Kerry DESPITE THE FACT that their versions of the 28 Feb, '69 incident do not coincide he is OK in your book disregarding the FACT that Thurlow and Lambert who got Bronze stars for the same event on 13 Mar, '69 that Kerry got his for obviously WERE there for the event too.

"You folks woulkd apparently believe that the sun rises in the west if a Kerry-hater said so!"

No but very OBVIOUSLY you fall into that catagory that can believe no wrong of Kerry and a perfect Kerry memory regardless of his having to UNSEAR memories he claims.

I don't really blame you for not wanting to admit that your man is less than hionorable and far less than truthful and claims Whoopi's values as his own. A man of no consistency other than his inconsistency and failure to accomplish anything in 19 years in the Senate (look at his senatorial web site for a list of non-accomplishments) and a ready willingness to tell any specific group exactly what they want to hear and make them promises even if he was saying just the opposite and promising that his new promises would never happen to the previous group.

YOU deserve Kerry, but the country does not deserve to be saddled with Kerry the opportunist who never met a lie or truth he wasn't willing to embellish for his own purposes.

Collapse -
"I was part of the operation"

On Feb. 28, 1969, I was officer in charge of PCF-23, one of three swift boats -- including Kerry's PCF-94 and Lt. j.g. Donald Droz's PCF-43 -- that carried Vietnamese regional and Popular Force troops and a Navy demolition team up the **** Cung, a narrow tributary of the Bay Hap River, to conduct a sweep in the area.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/2751074

Collapse -
As indicated below...

In reply to: "I was part of the operation"

his story differs widely with what Kerry has said about the incident.

The Swift Vets have not indicated the incident never happened, but they have strongly contended that it didn't happen as Kerry said it did and that his leaving out little details was fraudulent. I agree as do most who are familiar with the award process.

Collapse -
Want to COMPARE his story with Kerry's?

They certainly are DIFFERENT!

Rood's story - http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/2751074

"Meanwhile, Kerry ordered our boat to head upstream with his, leaving Droz's boat at the first site.

It happened again, another ambush. And again, Kerry ordered the turn maneuver, and again it worked. As we headed for the riverbank, I remember seeing a loaded B-40 launcher pointed at the boats. It wasn't fired as two men jumped up from their spider holes.

We called Droz's boat up to assist us, and Kerry, followed by one member of his crew, jumped ashore and chased a VC behind a hooch -- a thatched hut -- maybe 15 yards inland from the ambush site. Some who were there that day recall the man being wounded as he ran. Neither I nor Jerry Leeds, our boat's leading petty officer with whom I've checked my recollection of all these events, recalls that, which is no surprise. Recollections of those who go through experiences like that frequently differ."

Kerry's account http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/kerry/061603.shtml

"On Feb. 28, 1969, Kerry's boat received word that a swift boat was being ambushed. As Kerry raced to the scene, his boat became another target, as a Viet Cong B-40 rocket blast shattered a window. Kerry could have ordered his crew to hit the enemy and run. But the skipper had a more aggressive reaction in mind. Beach the boat, Kerry ordered, and the craft's bow was quickly rammed upon the shoreline. Out of the bush appeared a teenager in a loin cloth, clutching a grenade launcher.

An enemy was just feet away, holding a weapon with enough firepower to blow up the boat. Kerry's forward gunner, Belodeau, shot and clipped the Viet Cong in the leg. Then Belodeau's gun jammed, according to other crewmates (Belodeau died in 1997). Medeiros tried to fire at the Viet Cong, but he couldn't get a shot off.

In an interview, Kerry added a chilling detail.

"This guy could have dispatched us in a second, but for ... I'll never be able to explain, we were literally face to face, he with his B-40 rocket and us in our boat, and he didn't pull the trigger. I would not be here today talking to you if he had," Kerry recalled. "And Tommy clipped him, and he started going [down.] I thought it was over."

Instead, the guerrilla got up and started running. "We've got to get him, make sure he doesn't get behind the hut, and then we're in trouble," Kerry recalled.

So Kerry shot and killed the guerrilla. "I don't have a second's question about that, nor does anybody who was with me," he said. "He was running away with a live B-40, and, I thought, poised to turn around and fire it." Asked whether that meant Kerry shot the guerrilla in the back, Kerry said, "No, absolutely not. He was hurt, other guys were shooting from back, side, back. There is no, there is not a scintilla of question in any person's mind who was there [that] this guy was dangerous, he was a combatant, he had an armed weapon."

Was Kerry "racing" to help another as he claims or had he "moved on upstream" as Rood claims?

Rood's article claims that Hoffman was supportive of Kerry and only recently has had less than nice things to say--the much earlier Boston Globe article indicates otherwise.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.