Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Wish to cut down on programs running at start up

by ksteil / September 27, 2010 11:35 AM PDT

There must be many programs that are not essential to run at start up.
I have made a list of those listed under Start Up
and a separate list of those appearing under Services.
Unfortunately, the detail explanations are a total mystery to me;
how do I determine which have to be running at start up and which can safely be taken off that list?

I have a Dell XPS 420 running Vista Home edition

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wish to cut down on programs running at start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wish to cut down on programs running at start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep it's difficult.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 27, 2010 9:29 PM PDT

You're right, it is difficult to determine these, but what I do...

Generally I don't mess with Services unless I am absolutely sure. Changing the settings on Services can have unfortunate effects on the running of a system. However, there are resources on the internet that can help you decide which 'default' services can be adjusted. The one I use is Black Viper. Scroll down the page for the list of default and/or common services. Note, that this is for Vista with Service Pack 2 installed.

It is then a question of working down the list and comparing that with your own list. Read carefully, and "Expect differences"! If you want to change settings for any Services, just double click the entry in your Services console to display the Properties dialog.

With Startup files there is no such easily formatted list, because each Vista system is different. I don't know which Startup list you have obtained, but the one we use is the "System Configuration Editor" or commonly known as MSCONFIG. We get there from the Run command in the Start menu. If you do not have a Run command shortcut pinned to your Start menu, use the Search box there and search for Run, then open the Run in the list.

In the Run dialog box, type in msconfig and click OK, then in the new window, look at the Startup tab.

The general rules are;

1] Whenever you install software, check the install procedure carefully. Many of today's software are desperate for you to use their application exclusively and so they want it 'loaded at startup' and ready for you to use. generally that is not required as you can simply open the software when you need it. Look for any options to "Load at Startup" and if you don't want that, remove the option.

2] What we don't need to 'load at startup'. Instant Messengers, browsers, "Real Player", "Quicktime", Adobe, Updaters like Google Update, Java, iTunes, any software that you can simply run from a Desktop icon or Start menu shortcut. Anything that looks strange.

In that Startup tab the column widths may be too narrow to see the full entries. Grab the column header divider and drag to the right to see more. If you are unsure what an entry is, use Google to search the entry details.

Please note. You don't say which "Services" list you are looking at. If it is the one in msconfig, please do not use that. Instead, use the Services Console, available by using that same Run command, typing in services.msc and clicking OK.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
cut down start up list
by ksteil / September 28, 2010 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep it's difficult.

Hi, Mark
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Yes, my lists are from MSCONFIG, Start up and Services Tabs.
My start up is custom and has slowed down, I also get annoying updater pop ups
now that weren't there before. Most updates are on automatic and I don't see them.
These newer ones are Java and CNET Software Tracker.
The latter I may delete, don't know if it is helpful at all.
I appreciate your Please Note hint as I did not know there was a difference.

Will work through the steps you've outlined soon.

Collapse -
Yes those Updaters
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 28, 2010 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: cut down start up list

can be a real 'so and so' to find. I have an Adobe Updater at the moment and I'll be darned if I can find it.

Good luck with working through the lists.

For Java, try the Java applet in the Control Panel and look through the options there for updating.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: updaters
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2010 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes those Updaters

With me (in XP's MSCONFIG):
Java updater: jusched = c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\jusched.exe
Adobe updater: Adobeupdatemanager = c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe

Kees

Collapse -
cut down start up list
by ksteil / September 28, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: updaters

Thanks to both of you for your information.
The Java and TechTracker windows come up every day; they are the kind that seek permission to continue,
the same as my Windows Live Mail. I know that they don't update every day and so I just cancel.
Tomorrow I will be out of town, so I'll have to wait until Thursday to work on this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?