Alert

Wise Program Uninstaller contains adware

I just installed Wise Program Uninstaller from download.com and my Norton Antivirus blocked two files from being installed that came with it. coupons.dll and coupons64.dll this is a tracking program that installs coupons on your computer. So much for ad free downloads from Download.com So long

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Wise Program Uninstaller contains adware
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wise Program Uninstaller contains adware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
custom is the way to go

another person caught in the download.com scam.

you should have done a custom install and read each screen very carefully. usually those pages has the name of the program you want to install in great big letters and in real small print it has what you are actually installing. In addition. you should have clicked on the direct download link instead of the download now button.

One thing to note, most users of cnet know better than to use download.com. it used to be a great source for programs. I used it since before it because a part of cnet and since cbs took over cnet, it has become a source of trash. the only time I go there now is to get the name of the company that distributes the program and read the reviews then I go to the source and download it from there. You still need to do a custom install no matter the source.

- Collapse -
Update

Thanks renegade600. Yes it's been awhile since I've used the "new" download.com I haven't experienced one quite this bad in sometime. Even after I used the uninstall program that was included with the "un"Wisecare software, I was still experiencing the Yahoo browser that it installed with it. I found out that it installed the Search Protection program by Spigot that will block the browser from being changed back to what you set it to.
After running AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes I got it taken care of. Another lesson learned of how the times have changed. Once burned, Twice remembered - no more download.com

- Collapse -
Do not use download.com.

You will get unwanted stuff.
Dafydd.

- Collapse -
We apologize for any inconvenience here.

Wise Program Uninstaller, like many software titles on our site, does use the Download.com Installer, which securely delivers software from Download.com's servers to your computer. During this process, the Download.com Installer also shows offers for additional, free applications provided by our partners. Some individual software publishers include such offers in their own installers too.

All offers, whether included in the Download.com Installer or in individual publishers' installers, must conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and must also provide a working method to decline or opt-out of them during the download. You are never required to accept any offers in order to complete a download, but you will want to keep a close eye out to be sure you see and have a chance to select the decline or opt-out option for any third party offers you do not want.

Although you cannot avoid using a software publisher's own installer when downloading their program, if you prefer not to use the Download.com Installer in future, you can simply click the Direct Download Link that is provided on all Installer Enabled product pages.

Read more about that option here:

http://t.cnet.com/1hjhgMb

For more detailed information on the Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/1dSQYi4

If you have any trouble uninstalling unwanted applications from your machine's Control Panel, we recommend using one of the programs listed in our uninstaller software category (keeping in mind that some do use the Download.com Installer too, and/or may contain their own offers):

http://download.cnet.com/windows/uninstallers/

You will then want to remove or disable any unwanted add-ons or extensions from your browsers, and may need to reset your search and/or home pages as well.

The following page outlines additional instructions for the most common browsers:

http://download.cnet.com/2701-2023_4-2006-1.html

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact our support team by filling out the form on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

This support form, and our FAQ section, is accessible by clicking the "Download Help Center" link in the dark gray "footer" at the very bottom of Download.com (in the "More" column), or by clicking the "Help Center" link at the very bottom of any other CNET web pages (also in the "More" column there).

Regards,
Jen
Download.com Support

CNET Forums