Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Wiring Rooms for audio and receiver help

by JackTwist1 / November 16, 2008 10:16 AM PST

Hi, I know very little about any technology. I wanted to wire some rooms in my house for speakers. Ran some 14 & 16 guage wire from my receiver to a speaker selector box (Niles SSV-6) that has 6 pairs of speakers on it with volume control. I believe it handles 100 watts per channel. As I started hooking up speakers, I checked my old manual and discovered that my 15 year old Yamaha RX-V480 receiver puts out a relatively low wattage and added up the output and got 225 watts over the front, center and real speakers. Currently, through the receiver's A switch, I have 2 60 watt speakers and through the B switch I have a cable to the 6 pair speaker selector. I am assuming I can't exceed 225 watts in total of the speakers I attach? Which is a problem, since I already have. My question - is it really as simple as add up the wattage of the receiver and add up the speaker wattage you have attached to it? And does it matter if the receiver allocates the wattage to a variety of speaker outputs that I may not use? In this case, I am pulling the majority of the wattage from the B selector. And how do I factor in the 100 W per channel of the selector system? When I look to buy a new receiver, Am I just looking for a 700 watt system or something? And the fact that it may be a 7.1 or 5.1 system, does that matter? How do people usually integrate a speaker selector/multi room system into their receiver? Thanks for the help. JT.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Speakers wattage ratings are the maximum load.
by NM_Bill / November 17, 2008 10:42 AM PST

That would be maximum volume. Normal listening is far below maximum.

Try it a modest volume to see how it seems to want to work or see if it is needing some extra help.

Offhand I don't know if you can use zone A & B simultaneously.

Anyhow, if so, try to balance the power to the various speakers if possible.

The resulting volume may be insufficient.

With a 15 year old receiver, you really are due to replace & upgrade. The new receiver will have 5.1 or 7.1.

Therefore it will a total of 6 or 8 channels of power. That should help distribute sound to some of those speakers.

Best of luck.

Collapse -
Where do i connect the speaker selector
by JackTwist1 / November 19, 2008 6:43 AM PST

Thanks for the info. If I buy a new receiver that is a 5.1 type receiver, unlike my current receiver that has an A/B selector, where would I run the speaker out of the new receiver to my speaker selector box? I would have to pick one of the speaker lines for new receiver right? Like the rear speaker or something. But then I am sacrificing one of the speaker outputs for my multiroom box and wont have a true surround sound in that room. How do you usually overcome this?

Collapse -
I'm assuming a receiver with perhaps 7.1 will eliminate
by NM_Bill / November 19, 2008 8:07 AM PST

need for the selector box as the receiver itself provides all the audio power to seven channels plus a sub-woofer. The old receiver gave you 15 years of service. However, I feel consensus would say to update. The extra channels will easily take care of surround sound. In addition, there is no law making you use all the channels of a receiver.

I do not really understand exactly how many rooms you are extending sound to, however, many current receivers have at least two zones, with more upscale ones having three zones. Zones two & three could be stereo.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!