Computer Help forum

Question

wiring computer fans to brass tabs?

by add50317 / June 27, 2013 6:40 PM PDT

I'm not positive on where I should have posted this....let me explain.

I have an aquarium hood made of oak and wish to wire 6 fans into it's sides. 3 on each end or my light. 1 blowing in and the other pulling the air out. Thing is this will be put into a "removable" hood. I do not want to hard wire it. A friend who has a lot more experience than I suggested I do something along the lines of hard wiring 3 tabs made out of brass on each side. Doing the same thing on the hood so that when the hood is on the connection is complete but when you remove the hood you break the connection. Unfortunately this idea fell through as he said I would need something spring mounted to connect-not sure about this (as long as the connections r touching isn't that enough?). The other issue is that he said I would need 3 tabs on either side. I get the reasoning with normal wiring-hot, neutral, ground, but this is 18g wire for a computer and only has hot n neutral-so do I really need to do this?

Can I make a connection with just brass tabs somehow wired to the power?

Do I need 3 even though the line I am using only has hot n neutral?

Can't wait to hear any responses I might get. It's an odd project.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wiring computer fans to brass tabs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wiring computer fans to brass tabs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
oops!
by add50317 / June 28, 2013 2:08 AM PDT

It is definitely not AC. Well actually it IS drawing power from a wall outlet but I have a "whatever" in the middle to lessen the voltage-turns AC to DC. Not sure if my jargon is even close to correct there.

I understand your concern on the water, it is an issue with all aquariums, you just have to take proper precautions.

Far as the shock on my end. It will be unplugged when I remove the hood. So no shocking it I were to touch. If I forget it will be a good reminder.

The placement of connections is under the hood and on top of the stand. They will not be exposed unless the hood is removed so stray hands are not an issue. Neither R kids for that matter.

You say 2 tabs as opposed to 1-gtk I thought the 3 seemed odd.

You said: The 3-wire setup is really more than anything to allow typical AC wiring which you didn't explain if planning to do, hot-neutral-ground. Not going with AC.

You said: I mention battery, because if you use some 12V fans,... what significance does this have? I am using 12V not battery, is this an issue?

I have not checked your link, but will do so shortly, I just wanted to clarify some stuff first. I'd like to hear your explanation on the last comment. It almost seemed you were recommending a battery feed over 12V. PLZ explain.

And THANK YOU for your input!

AD

I checked the link u sent-

All it was was some banter about the real definition of aquariums and vivariums.

It did mention the original poster liked to recycle things-which Is "I" to a T. I LOVE to modify!

Didn't put this under ask for clarification...oops!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Wooo...hold on there Sparky
by Willy / June 27, 2013 9:54 PM PDT

I hope this isn't some "AC type of wiring" like in household current. NO WAY MAN, near water!!! Even if you use some GFC type wall outlet, do you trust your work and life to such?

I understand what is being done here and seems to make sense, but leave out any household AC. If on the other hand you plan to use some low current or battery operation, then possible. The contacts are meant to touch when in operation and when you lift hood, break contact. Understand, if *YOU* make contact it could very well be harmful or shocking at least. If battery or low current operation, then only need 2-wire setup. The 3-wire setup is really more than anything to allow typical AC wiring which you didn't explain if planning to do, hot-neutral-ground. You can but with proper electrical safety in mind and include a GFC circuit setup. I mention battery, because if you use some 12V fans, gang wire them(inline) and then to some final contact(simple contact switch) completes the circuit to work. Again, if you place your body on these open contacts to *YOU* complete the circuit, see the problem. i supply a link for aquarium lights but install fans instead will do, using common sense.

http://www.instructables.com/community/help-wiring-aquarium-lights/

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
NOT AC! THX 4 the quick reply!
by add50317 / June 28, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

It is definitely not AC. Well actually it IS drawing power from a wall outlet but I have a "whatever" in the middle to lessen the voltage-turns AC to DC. Not sure if my jargon is even close to correct there.

I understand your concern on the water, it is an issue with all aquariums, you just have to take proper precautions.

Far as the shock on my end. It will be unplugged when I remove the hood. So no shocking it I were to touch. If I forget it will be a good reminder.

The placement of connections is under the hood and on top of the stand. They will not be exposed unless the hood is removed so stray hands are not an issue. Neither R kids for that matter.

You say 2 tabs as opposed to 1-gtk I thought the 3 seemed odd.

You said: The 3-wire setup is really more than anything to allow typical AC wiring which you didn't explain if planning to do, hot-neutral-ground. Not going with AC.

You said: I mention battery, because if you use some 12V fans,... what significance does this have? I am using 12V not battery, is this an issue?

I have not checked your link, but will do so shortly, I just wanted to clarify some stuff first. I'd like to hear your explanation on the last comment. It almost seemed you were recommending a battery feed over 12V. PLZ explain.

And THANK YOU for your input!

AD

Collapse -
Checked link
by add50317 / June 28, 2013 12:31 AM PDT

All it was was some banter about the real definition of aquariums and vivariums.

It did mention the original poster liked to recycle things-which Is "I" to a T. I LOVE to modify!

Collapse -
I googled and found these...
by Willy / June 28, 2013 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Checked link
https://www.google.com/search?q=aquarium+lighting+led&oq=aquarium+lighting&aqs=chrome.2.57j5j0l2.10014j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sclient=psy-ab&q=aquarium+fans&oq=aquarium+fans&gs_l=serp.2..0i13l4.40711.43432.0.43475.12.9.0.0.0.1.188.998.1j7.8.0...0.0.0..1c.1.17.psy-ab.23wWs-YAJGE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.aWc&fp=91775a5ffeeeacff&biw=1280&bih=685

You don'y buy but get the idea what can be done. If you want to stick with brass contacts, then what you're making is a simple switch. You can use a simple "spring switch" that with pressure(wieight) is on/off when moved, same principle cleaner design. The switch can look like this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/V7-1B19D8-022/?qs=10P5Hhl%252bD79Otqb3E198Bw%3D%3D&gclid=CLGMv66oh7gCFc9FMgodgCkAHA

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Magnetic-Reed-Switches/_/N-5g2l/

The magnetic sw. is having a circuit wired to the sw. and then a magnet attached to cover when closed, is ON, OFF when cover removed.

12V fanns, since you're using some AC wall adapter to make 12V fans work is OK. However, the battery is just an option, I had no idea how it was going to work. good luck \

tada -----Willy Happy
Collapse -
Clarify
by add50317 / June 28, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

You said 2 tabs not 3 right?

You are also telling me spring loaded not brass tabs?

Collapse -
Options
by Willy / June 29, 2013 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarify

Yes, two(2) if 2-wires which is hot and grd. or 12V and negative, just like a battery if you will. Doesn't your adapter have some plug-in that's only 2-wires? i offered you some options and these are nothing more than simple clean ready to use items, a real switch, not a mere brass-to-brass contact which will over time start to corrode or discolor. It's all up to you. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
sorry 4 delay
by add50317 / July 2, 2013 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Options

Been busy doing a tile job for a friend.

Yes there R receivers/plugs with the 2 wires but I am wanting to attach 3 fans to the 2 wires running into the plug. Any idea if the plug can handle that much power?

I hear you on the better tabs. I will take another look @ those. The 1st link (honeywell) not sure how that would work. The next link I like the item MPS45WGW, but I am not sure how to make it happen. Plus those switches R $10 a piece, thats $20 per side. For that price I should have purchased an aquarium chiller.

I will run all of this buy a guy that knows a lot more about circuits than I.

Thanks for all your input, I will try to post on here how the project actually turned out-if it ever does that is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?