Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Wireless Zero Configuration service will not auto-start

by miceberg / November 7, 2014 9:06 AM PST

I have a Dell Latitude D610 laptop that I recently reinstalled Windows XP on. It is a 2005 model, still runs fast --it is well maintained-- especially because I do not have the original Dell recovery CD (but I don't think that that is applicable in my problem, which is described next...)

--------------------------------------------------------

In WINDOWS XP SP3, I cannot get Wireless Zero Configuration service to automatically start. I go to "Services-->(Right click)Wireless Zero Configuration-->Properties". I set "Startup type: Automatic". Select to Start the application. I then go to Wireless Network Connection window and select "Change advanced settings". I Select the "Wireless Networks" tab and mark the checkbox to "Use WIndows to configure my wireless network settings". At this point the internet will connect and work fine.

The problem is that these settings will not retain and although the Wireless Zero Configuration service is set to automatically startup, it does not. Prior to reinstalling my Windows XP software, this service functioned well and never gave any problem.
-------------------------------------------------------

note:
I cut & pasted 99% reproduced the above issue which originally was posted in a thread of which the discussion is now "closed".. That poster eventually resolved their problem by simply unselecting to allow Windows to control the wireless adapter.

I tried that, expecting to duplicate the results. However, my model is a Dell D610 Latitude (laptop) and the original posted pc in question was a Dell Inspiron 6000 (laptop),,, and basically my problem is that I did not get the same results.

I don't know if the model difference matters. In my opinion it shouldn't but perhaps I may be incorrect.

I have a RaLink 2870 USB external adapter, in addition to my onboard internal Intel PRO/Set WIRELESS 2200BG WLAN.

The RaLink 2870 has a very well known issue (bug) in which any onboard existiing internal other WIFI adapters need be "disabled" in Network Connections of Control Panel. However, that only is relevant if/when the RaLink 2870 external adapter, via it's device's USB connector, is physically attached (plugged into the computer) for actual intended use during that session. The RaLink 2870 external adapter is for an actual physical external wifi antennae with a 25ft long USB cable, the kind you can position on a desk or a windowsill, or etc... (has range of 3000 ft / nearly a mile) --- I mention this to be clear what kind of device you may have in your mind... this is not a USB PENDRIVE stick type simple tiny little wifi antennae than is keychain sized..Just so you know.. Again I don't think it matters much..

This is what happens when that antennae gets plugged in:

When the Ralink 2870 wifi external antennae adapter is physically attached to the laptop what happens is that, apparently, it somehow gets recognized by Windows XP as the first choice for wireless connection because it's drivers get loaded and its accompanying wifi signal mgmt software also then gets displayed as active and actively monitoring available wifi networks nearby as a taskbar tray icon. The local onboard internal wifi adapter simply shows a taskbar tray icon that (upon right-clicking) will confirm that it is operational (that the drivers are loaded) but it has an X over it is temporarily disabled in lieu of that the external antennae adapter is
ready for use.

This is what happens when that antennae is not plugged in:
When this Ralink 2870 wifi external antennae adapter is NOT physically attached to the laptop, if I need to go online and have an active wifi connection using the onboard internal wifi adapter I must manually go to Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services, then scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and highlight it, and then click "start" in the blue text in the panel to the left side of the scrollable list of available services.

That's a cumbersome rigamarole each & every time I am within a signal and don't need to plug in the antennae (about 75% of the time)

I know this thread is very long so please forgive me and thank you for reading it this far..

Just to recap how I began this thread, I recently RE-installed Windows XP SP3. Before I did this, I didn't need to adjust any settings, or do anything. The system seemed to auto-detect what to do without me manually doing it. And everything worked just fine. Now, it's a mess. I have un-installed and re-installed the RaLink software (including completely wiping traces of it out of the registry using regedit.exe) 2 times, with no effect..

I'm sure that there is a solution to this....if you have any ideas I would welcome hearing them, all suggestions (that I have not tried already, covered above) are welcome...

Thanks for your patience

hoping somebody can shed some insight on this...

miceberg has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Zero Configuration service will not auto-start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Zero Configuration service will not auto-start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by miceberg

Collapse -
give up
by James Denison / November 13, 2014 12:52 PM PST

It's more trouble than it's worth. My daughter for years has used a Zydas USB wifi on her XP computer and using windows to manage it was always a headache. Not worth it. Eventually I allowed the program included with the USB device to run the wifi and never had another problem with it.

Collapse -
Answer
Most common? The wireless card drivers do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2014 7:26 PM PST
Collapse -
This leads to a dead-end in my case - see screenshots
by miceberg / November 10, 2014 3:54 AM PST

See below screenshot links:

This first screenshot is of the thread referred to at the url:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/212282-have-to-turn-on-wireless-zero-configuration-manually-every-time/
((Access this link without leaving this page by --->> RightClick the link, then
click option "Open Link In New Tab" or "Open Link in New Window" ----
the screenshot of the thread will display very quickly with no problems in a
new tab or window))

FIRST SCREENSHOT:
http://imgbox.com/bzjEucdV
((Access this screenshot image without leaving this page by --->> RightClick the link, then
click option "Open Link In New Tab" or "Open Link in New Window" ----
the screenshot image will display very quickly with no problems in a
new tab or window))

((If you didn't/couldn't click to the screenshot, the essential body of the thread is reproduced as:
""".....I've just found a solution. Basically, my wireless card was taking over management after reboot. Try this: right click My Computer, properties, hardware,device manager (view-devices by type), network adapters, double click your wireless card, advanced, manage wireless settings, disable. WZC now in sole control, even after reboot.
"""
----------------------------
This second screenshot is what happens if I follow those instructions.
If you can click to the screenshot in a seperate new tab or browser window, you will see that:
my "advanced" tab within the "properties" dialogue box for my selected wireless adapter "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection" does not display "manage wireless settings". (? ? ?)

SECOND SCREENSHOT IS HERE:
http://imgbox.com/0L3WFpBW
((Access this screenshot image without leaving this page by --->> RightClick the link, then click option "Open Link In New Tab" or "Open Link in New Window" ---- the screenshot image will display very quickly with no problems in a new tab or window))

I hope you had an oppty to see the 2nd screenshot. --There is no "manage wireless settings" option. ( ? ? )

And by the way, if you did see the 2nd screenshot, to the right of the Intel logo you see a menubox that says "Wireless on" with a downarrown next to it. there is only one (1) other option. As you can guess it is "Wireless off". Just to be clear---this little menubox is not the "manage wireless settings" option selector in a slightly different appearing interface ---- I have seen the "manage wireless setting" option selector before, and this is not it period... this is something inherent to this specific driver management tool interface, exclusively.. as far as I can I tell.. I have dabbled with this switch just out of curiosity, and know from that that this setting is not applicable to my problem..

Please reply with any workaround to this, if known, thanks.

((If reading this post & not familiar with the entire problem, please read the discussion of threads from beginning to this point, if you have anything you can contribute please do and thank you))

Collapse -
Sounds like the Intel driver is taking over the service.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2014 5:38 AM PST

Wish I was there to dive into it more but your machine appears to have the same issues as what others have reported before.

There are hard workarounds such as running NET START (service) on login but I find the driver dance to not be that well documented so XP users feel a little slighted to say the least.
bob

Collapse -
PS. More at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2014 5:43 AM PST
Collapse -
thanks for taking a stab at it at least
by miceberg / November 11, 2014 2:05 PM PST

I'm posting this after reading both this & the next thread, want to say thanks for pointing to possibilities. Yea I am a diehard XP fan, admittedly. I do have another PC, a HP Pavilion (desktop) P6_2103w 8GB Ram 1 TB i5 duo-core which I'm running Windows 7 on, and it's okayyyyy. I absolutely despise Windows 8. They were running it at my last job, I think in the attempt at appearing to be latest-thing cutting-edge etc etc, but all I know is that next to nobody there was happy with it, was not proficient with it at all. Personally if I have to go from Windows XP to VISTA, to Windows 7, & now to this foreign interface called Windows 8 I may as well just jump ship entirely and go either UbuntuLinux or get a Mac for pete's sake... If you ask me, I think 3 out of 4 people are running anything later than XP more out of occupational or social networking peer pressure than personal preference. I mean, think about it, XP only requires 128 Megabytes of RAM, slightly more after updates to SP3 but scarcely more. As opposed to Windows 7 which recommends a bare minimum of 1 GB (I ran it as a test on 512 MB briefly, but it was abysmally slow and unresponsive if using typical apps like web browsing or an MS Office app (i.e. MS-Word).. I upgraded a laptop from 512MB (.5 GB) to 2 GB reformatted the HD & did a clean re-install and it absolutely flies at supersonic speed. Antiviral & related utilities combined (AVG, CCleaner, Malewarebytes) causes a slower boot-up time initially, but, when using disk drive mgmt utilities that in the background automatically reorganize certain critical system files for faster accessability , over a period of about 5 days the boot time is back to being virtually indistinguishable from a brand new fresh install of just the OS alone. I considered making a YouTube video showing this, but didn't after I realized the video could be claimed by skeptics to be a fake (edited and doctored up). I know that it in fact would be (is) real, but I don't have (or know of anyway) any physical way to absolutely prove it in a video clip.

Unless you're a hardcore gaming enthusiast or doing extremely professional high-end very system-intensive demanding video editing tasks, or networked on a very large scale corporate server LAN, I personally see newer operating systems as strongarming consumers to shell out more $$ to buy a newer computer with more ram and etc in a never-ending cycle of ""you can't outrun the obsolescence giant"".

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want... but I'm not a quack.. the numbers and performance benchmarks are real and consistent, and I didn't come up with them all by myself...

It would be a great thing if some engineers who happen to see this could seriously consider opening up a XP dedicated support forum ---- I'm certain there are still tens of millions (perhaps more) of people who would be jumping for joy... There's gotta be a grant or funding source of some kind available, nonprofit, etc, to address that kind of demand which is real and relevant, when I hear about some of the absolutely ******** ventures that somehow flimflam their way into getting "funded" by benevolent means... take care..

Collapse -
I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2014 2:38 PM PST

But your last post went somewhere else rather than diving into or at the issue. Maybe I missed where you were writing about the issue at hand?
Bob

Collapse -
The patch at Link you posted appears to be working
by miceberg / November 12, 2014 6:37 PM PST

I got off on that tangent about XP and forgot to mention that yes the patch at the link you mentioned http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968682/en-us seems to be working well.

I was pretty skeptical about if it would hold up. Sometimes those patches work fine initially, until you need to do something. In this case (after I had applied the patch) I installed an app which I knew had 2 or 3 updates from the version I was installing and I didn't want to risk those updates attempting to auto-update on install (because they (the updates) are more inclined for Windows 7/8 but will still download & install on XP, but if/when that happens they can severely degrade performance (output rendering speeds/it's a video editing app I'm talking about ---- I've been thru that before, and it's a pain,,,, a layperson doesn't just up & surgically remove an update, you have to reinstall the program and adjust it to however it was before from there,,,or if wise enough to have set a "restore point" prior to the patch being applied then roll back using "system restore",,, even still --those are both avoidable- much easier to simply disable the network connection entirely prior to installing and on first run of the app manually turning off the updates feature in the options/preferences menu).

turns out,,, that even though I disabled my wifi adapter temporarily prior to the app install, after I subsequently re-booted,,,,well fortunately the (wzc) patch (that you referred me to) held up, --and-- I haven't had to manually start the wireless zero configuration since.

so, thanks again ------->> Cool

Collapse -
I left XP
by James Denison / November 13, 2014 12:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Tried Linux/Ubu/Kubuntu various ver. error messages in all
by miceberg / November 14, 2014 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: I left XP

Sorry to say that I can't share your enthusiasm. I don't care much for the method of installing apps from "repositories" and Synaptic Package Manager type rigamarole..etc etc I have (4) different versions of Ubuntu Kubuntu Backtrack and Kali and when I had difficulty installing downloads & upgrades and then I went online and tried varieties of sudo apt-get commands and syntaxes.. I don't mind working a few command-lines occasionally, but I don't like how often I encountered error messages and then had to open a command-line (terminal) and go a thru a billion forum posts etc etc following their "examples" to the LETTER, and can't get past the first step because I get something showing up in a dialogue box as an error message that is not even mentioned at all by the people who profess like they know what they're talking about...and then I have to sit on my hands and wait 2 or 3 days for a reply if I get one at all... no man,, I'm TIRED of going down that road and getting nowhere.. I've installed Ubuntu/etc from burned disc and used the built-in apps just playing around, and yea they run real smooth and lightning quick... but hard drive file mgmt (location/access/retrieval) has evolved slower than coal turning to diamond ,,,, and I already told you about my nightmare experiences with trying to get the hang of installing stuff... it's just a major pain ....man I got OTHER stuff to do with my time than agonize over that crapola.... nothing personal... just speaking my mind,,,based on my own personal experiences.. take care...

Collapse -
interesting. I've not had such problems
by James Denison / November 15, 2014 2:04 AM PST

for me it's seemed easier to have the best programs all available from one source, whereas with windows I had to shop around more for third party software. Running an exe file for installation after download of a windows type program is easy enough, but using package manager to do the install, while different wasn't really more complicated. My one beef would be not all programs in the package manager always go to a current website that is taking care of that program, but probably because they are older, or the program is no longer actively supported. For instance moonlight was the linux version of microsoft's silverlight, but other than Netflix it has almost no other use, so seems abandoned.

The main problems in Linux are the same that occur in Windows at times, problems with wifi devices. Like Mac OSX, having the right hardware that doesn't require special drivers not included in the kernel makes things a lot more enjoyable. For the average home user doing email, browsing, some documents and spreadsheets, and listening to videos and music, Linux is OK, and free. Due to the free nature of it however, those needing bleeding edge drivers for the latest greatest video cards may not be able to enjoy all the same capabilities they might find with it in windows, but I also note the problems windows users tend to have with newest video cards and drivers in these forums. Gamers, stay with windows, for everyone else, Linux is entirely sufficient I think.

I've noted a lot believe the command line is more necessary for Linux use than is actually needed. Most often that is because they have some problem and ask for help in a forum and diagnosis using the command line is easiest for the person helping them.

For instance "inxi -v7" command will tell just about all that's needed to know the person's system without having them find it in graphical mode, nor going through the process of telling them how to do it that way.

It's easier to have someone run "sudo blkid" to see their drive setup than have them do a screen capture of GParted or something from system monitor in graphical mode.

Most things done on command line now, have graphical means also available, which is what appeals most to former windows users.

Still, like moving to windows 8 was for many users, also moving to Linux requires some experience of use before one feels comfortable with it. Making sure to use a well supported distro also helps.

Collapse -
the obsolescence giant is always looming overhead
by miceberg / November 15, 2014 4:34 PM PST

I think the major value of graphical interfaces is rapid task-switching during multi-tasking.

And what I get the sense of is a lot of apps which start out as a single primary good tool,
then gradually "evolve" or "develop" or "grow" (in a sense, depending on your vernacular)
into something bigger and more complex, an actual "suite" of wares --a.k.a. "software..
and that's when those little seams and creases which are supposed to accomodate this
as an enlarging/expansion process instead become nooks/crannies for bugs and issues..

I've come to believe that
there's an actual hierarchy of politics that, in-effect, polices software compatibility, but like
any other form of policing an area it requires constantly being in/around it and that means
sometimes even getting in the way of it (obstructing it) from doing what it's supposed to be
doing.

Windows is probably the biggest offender in this category, I'll be the first to jump on that
bandwagon. But at the same time, it's with a dose of ambivalence, since we are all actually
really just crossing our fingers each time we install a new application that it works smoothly..

Where that point is heading is that if/when I'm in Linux I get more than a little p.o.'d when I
see onscreen dialogue boxes telling me that I do not have sufficient access privileges to do
anything. It's "open-source" software for christ sake, which I (as-in I being the administrator/
system owner) and I'm being told that I do not have a necessary amount of authorization.
Give me a break..

I'm sure you're familiar with what I'm referring to. And my point is this: After all these years I
would expect that there is a HIGHLY VISIBLE and EASILY ACCESSABLE icon on main desktop
a matter of practicality, which enables users at any time, to simply enter in their highest-level
password, and invokes a what-is-it//what-are-you-trying-to-get-done-here type of help wizard.
And it will invoke, like Moses parting the Red Sea, an override authority capability which will
suspend any/everything else halted-in-progess until you get your issue resolved.. Sure, right..

In a age where we have robots that can walk and talk and serve a plate of food to you like a
waitress ( I'm not kidding, they're a millionaires' status-symbol type materialistic indulgence, but,
they do exist ) then it begs the question to me why, as I asked a moment ago, is something as
practical as what I just mentioned, so conspicuously absent ?. Am I wrong to ask this question ?

Well, in case somebody is reading this and they are thinking of a "help menu" that needs to go
online and access a sprawling database of FAQ's --- well that's not quite what I had in mind..
I know that F1/Help is accessable but what about when a user is offline and can't get a web-
connection and there is no other web connection available at the location they are physically at.
You get left with the impression that the user is supposed to put what they're doing on hold,
get up, commute to some other location, go online, find information, and then what (?) put the
info on a thumb drive (or write it down) and then go back to their original location, and try it ? ?
aND, all it takes is (1) one single detail that was a little "off" (misunderstood or left out by mistake) and ka-flooey,,the whole cycle has to be repeated over, and over, again & again, until finally that one issue is resolved ? ? Man, like I was saying in my other thread(s),,,, that's a lot of rigamarole..

And developers hear about feedback like this, and they come up with what is supposed to be
"the improvement" which "fixes" that problem.. Well, turns out, the poor schmuck who is the one
who probably would benefit the most from it, in reality, will be the last person on earth to find out
about "the fix" since they threw up their hands in disgust months ago and have since moved on.

People aren't morons. I'm not incompetent. Most folks I see and talk to in person in everyday real life who have a similar perspective of which I just expressed are also not idiots. They real people,
with ordinary real lives. A guy who works at his "day job" should not have to practically be also a programmer just to understand all the politics and protocol and management policy rights etc etc in order to have access to software on a system they paid hundreds of dollars for and will also pay hundreds and thousands more for in internet access fees and additional hardware and software over time.. Man, you can buy a car with all the money you spend piecemeal on these little "convenience devices".. Yea, they're very convenient.. Very convenient at emptying your wallet.

Considering how much money consumers (users) spend on this technology bit by bit by bit I personally say "hey man,, enough is enough " You gotta draw a line somewhere.. What's that
old saying -- if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything ??

I'm not a crybaby, or an incompetent, but I personally can't tolerate too much of this incessant footrace against an inescapable obsolescence giant.. The whole thing is rigged from the get-go..

Collapse -
it's there
by James Denison / November 15, 2014 10:09 PM PST
nd it will invoke, like Moses parting the Red Sea, an override authority capability which will
suspend any/everything else halted-in-progess until you get your issue resolved.. Sure, right..

It's called "root". Most new distros ship without root access being active, but it can be done.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

see "root account" section.
Collapse -
manual and "man pages"
by James Denison / November 15, 2014 10:25 PM PST
"I know that F1/Help is accessable but what about when a user is offline and can't get a web-
connection and there is no other web connection available at the location they are physically at.
You get left with the impression that the user is supposed to put what they're doing on hold,
get up, commute to some other location, go online, find information, and then what (?) put the
info on a thumb drive (or write it down) and then go back to their original location, and try it ? ?
aND, all it takes is (1) one single detail that was a little "off" (misunderstood or left out by mistake) and ka-flooey,,the whole cycle has to be repeated over, and over, again & again, until finally that one issue is resolved ? ? Man, like I was saying in my other thread(s),,,, that's a lot of rigamarole.. "

Mint comes with a user manual, other distros have one. For each command there's a "man page" which can be accessed such as;

man whatevercommand

info whatevercommand

and short help

whatevercommand --help

The Package Manager has information for each command and places like osdisc.com have entire repositories on disc for $30-50 for those with limited internet access, so new programs and commands can be added and information on them obtained offline. If that's the more common situation for a linux user, then it's the approach they should take. Such as 18 DVD with 75 GB of linux commands and programs available. You can also get a repository copy on flashdrive for a bit more, about $50. I don't know if windows has such a thing for all their KB updates, although I do know at end of life in past such as for windows 98 se they did eventually put out a disc of all upgrades done previously, have a copy of it myself. Of course that didn't include a lot of added programs, just "fixes" and "updates". Even if one has only repository for a particular linux distro, the package manager can be set to use that repository for a different distro if same type of package is used, usually either a deb or rpm type.
Collapse -
I agree on this
by James Denison / November 15, 2014 10:52 PM PST
"I'm not a crybaby, or an incompetent, but I personally can't tolerate too much of this incessant footrace against an inescapable obsolescence giant.. The whole thing is rigged from the get-go.."

People used to build for quality, but now things are often built with a re-sale in mind, so obsolescence is built in, or conditions are changed to create such a situation. You can still go hunting with bow & arrow rather than rifle. One can still ride a horse, even in some cities the police use them while on the beat, Amish travel in horse drawn wagons still but many places make no allowance for their use in their area anymore. I could still drive a car from the 30-50's, but just try finding new parts to replace worn out ones as easily as for a newly built automobile.

When a young lad I used to test tubes at local store and fix our TV with replacement tubes, easily bought nearby, but now you have to special order them at some expensive price if you wanted to use the same TV, and then add a converter box to still get open air broadcast. I had an old truck with only AM radio, (kept it for 20 years) used to be great for music when new, but now it's all talk radio on AM, not much music. Some things get better, so people move over to it, some things aren't but the conditions under which they are used no longer exist, thereby consigning them into the dustbin of history.

Everyone trying to "keep up with the Jones" also contributes to it. Those who don't want to seem backward, need to be sure to have the latest, greatest, so they will socially fit in, at least in their perception. They change technology and equipment the way some change their clothes style every year or two, even before what they had is worn out. Of course the secondary market appreciates it, lol. The person who is ashamed to have a car older than 5 years.

I can accept gracefully those things that improve our situation causing previous things to become obsolete, but like you I cringe when the conditions are changed or the quality lowered with the deliberate eye at selling more product that otherwise wouldn't be needed to accomplish the same thing.

I'm reminded of a friend that's passed on now, his job was shoeing horses and he still had plenty of jobs on a constant basis while he was able to continue the work. Even for computers the newest generation are looking back to the 80's now and have "vintage computing" clubs.

Herd mentality among humans prompts us to follow the group, maybe the fear of stragglers getting left behind, or feeling left out.
Collapse -
mYths & misgvngs abound suroundng Linux's alleged robustness
by miceberg / November 19, 2014 2:30 PM PST
In reply to: I agree on this

I'm not going to get into a detailed laundry list of my personal peeves with Linux
but I will say I feel that claims of the numerous and varied advantages of Linux
over "other" operating systems (most notorious of course, its main rival, Microsoft),
have been grossly propagandized into caricaturesque proportions, wildly inflated.

This not only continues but self-perpetuates from the efforts of throngs of
bandwagoners jumping on espousing how "Linux runs windows applications".
and that it does so "with fewer or no error messages, because it's "more stable".
Yea, right.

That's baloney. I have installed, uninstalled, and re-installed a variety of 32 and 64
bit versions of Linux on both a 64-bit workstation (desktop) with 8GB RAM (& multi-core processor)and a 32-bit laptop with 2 GB RAM. Even though we are now mostly in the era of 64-bit & multi-core processor etc the clear fact remains that 32-bit with 2 GB RAM is ample
enough power to run fairly powerful array of apps whether for personal or professional
use.

Among the current topselling devices are tablets and netbooks and very few of
these come with more than 2 GB of RAM, and those are ones which just were released.
So, it's apparent to me that O/S's which are intended to support applications which need a lot of hardware muscle (in the way of i5 or i7 hyperthreading quad-core processors, etc & 6 or 8 GB RAM (or more) seem to be expected to be used for high-end tasks such as complex video-edit/rendering, real-time videoconferencing, or complex technical project renderings (i.e. CAD/CAM,, Corel Advanced Technical Suite X5, etc, or similar) on a networked shared-folder collaborative effort project, such as a major architecturaly workup or interactive structural design modifications to complex fault-tolerant devices (i.e. hospital life support devices, CRM database mgmt security patches, etc)..

That (high performance) degree of hardware & software compatibilty to me indicates an expected level of a serious sense of deliberateness on the part of the user, but there is a gaping vacuous chasm of instant system-to-user-interactive redundancy built-in in support of that.. I shouldn't have to go online. Or download anything. An operating system (sold worldwide, used by billions of users, and made corporate principals multi-billionaires) should know what (task) I am in the process of trying to perform (like logging-in, filling in a password, etc )by the keys I pressed and in what sequence, to deduce in what context they were, and be able to inform me that the function I am attempting to perform was [not] completed because of the [ following: listed ] reasons, and provide step by step potential workarounds I know I just gave you a couple of common examples (logging-in, paswords, etc) and yes there are already existing pop-up help dialogue-box/wizards for those -- okay yea there are, but for each of those two which there are there are twenty for which there aren't. And nobody NOBODY is going to tell me different.. All you get is some cryptic blip such "unable to perform requested function" or "application exception error blah-blah"... [[press here to close this box]] wow, thank you for that... That accomplishes nothing, and people are sick and tired of operating system "upgrade" after operating system "upgrade" to find out that the only that has really changed is speed & interface,, but the same bugs that were there before are still there, and the same grossly lacking help features are still grossly lacking.. It's a corporate dependency hustle, an adaptation of the ole' plantation management scheme "keep-em-barefoot-&-pregnant", a very sadisticly exploitative tactic... And our government condones it. As long as those tax revenues keep rollin' in,, ..ohh yeaaaaa budddyy.... you can be as dirty bait-and-switch as ya want... we'll even bail you out if the consumers are so broke they can't ante up for your next poker-hand for awhile.. Take it from an old-school detroiter- what do you call --- It's a fiat,, no it's a datsun...no it's a yugo... well, it's a piece of crapola whatever it is.... we'll just call it.... " a fiasco !! "... just give this piece of sh*t a shiny new paint job and roll 'em out boyzz....... there ya go.... it's the american way.... yea, right..

Collapse -
If something upset me that badly
by James Denison / November 19, 2014 8:48 PM PST

I'd find something else to do.

Collapse -
I'm a multi-talented rodent...
by miceberg / November 20, 2014 2:22 PM PST

I can also tie my shoes and chew gum at the same time !

Collapse -
"Stay on target"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2014 10:48 PM PST

This doesn't seem to address the WZC topic. Please move this to a new discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
I replied to comments
by miceberg / November 20, 2014 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: "Stay on target"

submitted by others. My original post is about WZC, and I already clicked yes in response when prompted by the site (sic) ..." ...is your issue resolved .? "

If I had known I was in error replying to comments posted in this discussion, I would not have.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?