Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless/Wired Access

by qatechie / September 28, 2007 4:49 PM PDT

I have a home network (wired) and recently purchased a laptop (WinXP Pro), that is both wired/wireless-capable. Whenever I connect the laptop via cable to the internet, (the wireless feature is disabled), the laptop's firewall software (a common commercial app) sends me an alert that someone is trying to (or is) accessing my "wireless network." When I check the network connection settings on the laptop it can't find anything. I've checked and changed the SOP security settings and the firewall continues to detect someone trying to connect wirelessly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless/Wired Access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless/Wired Access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a software bug to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless/Wired Access

You can, on most laptops disable the wifi during wired use. If the security software still complains then it's just plain buggy or I misunderstand your post.

Bob

Collapse -
Updated SW but issues persists
by qatechie / September 30, 2007 4:45 AM PDT

Thanks for the input Bob.

I contacted the app's vendor and downloaded their "update", the kicker is that one of the "features" of the firewall SW is its wireless security detection. Which if I were using the laptop wirelessly, would make sense. But, I'm trying to put my arms around the wireless security before implementing wireless. Which leads me back to my original question to the forum.

On the plus side, the app can be configured to identify the "suspect" traffic and issue an alter; Which it does.

Any additional insights would be welcomed.

Collapse -
My wifi security is simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2007 5:02 AM PDT

I use Zone Alarm, WPA-PSK and SSID is broadcasting. There is no known crack tool for WPA that's worth noting. And since I don't have a network share on this laptop I can use public wifi without too much headaches.

Cheers, hope this sharing helps you out.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by qatechie / October 6, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

Bob,

Thanks for the input.

Collapse -
About to give up on my network sharing...
by cgarrity / October 9, 2007 3:32 PM PDT

My network has 3 computers accessing the internet with no problem. One is connected to the router via Ethernet and the other 2 are wireless. When I first set it up, all 3 computers were using XP. I was able to print to either of 2 printers AND "see" shared folders from all 3 computers.

Then, I installed Vista on my desktop (Ethernet connection) and since that time I have not been able to print or share files between computer. Still, all 3 computers can access the internet just as before.

I've done everything I can think of to get full access to shared folders without success. All computers are in the same WorkGroup name and all have had the network software ran several times. All computers are firewalled. I'm using WPA security with broadcast SSID on.

I'm thinking of giving the system one more try (installing a new WorkGroup name, etc. Somewhere in this forum I saw a link to a checklist to run when setting up a network. I believe it was on a MS site, but maybe it wasn't.

Anyone know of a good checklist to run for one final attempt to reinstall my network? I miss not being able to use our printers from my laptop and also to transfer files.

An added reason for getting my network back is to access is Tivo. I just setup my Tivo to interface with my network via Tivo Desktop. My idea is to be able to transfer a few movies to my laptop for traveling, but my laptop is unable to see my Tivo when running Tivo Desktop. My desktop sees my Tivo hard drive and work fine with the transfer of videos.

Collapse -
If this was a post for help...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 12:00 AM PDT

I don't see how it relates to this discussion. Try posting such as a new post next time.

In closing, firewalls tend to be the root cause of such issues. Since it's some 99% of the time I fix it with a little firewall tweak one wonders if that's it for most.

The rest might want to get NETWORK MAGIC (see google.)

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.