Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless speed not what it should be

by caesar6137 / October 10, 2009 7:03 AM PDT

I have a netgear ragemax wireless router and a sony viao notebook running vista. I can not figure out how to get more than 54Mbps with my wireless internet. I have tried redoing the wireless settings, but I still can not get the speed. I know my computer has a card with draft n. I happened to have a usb adapter and if I use that I get speeds greater than 54mbps, but I would like not to have the adapter sticking out since I do move the laptop from time to time. Please Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless speed not what it should be
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless speed not what it should be
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How are you getting these numbers?
by Coryphaeus / October 10, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

Are you sure the internal card is wireless N?

Collapse -
yes positive
by caesar6137 / October 11, 2009 4:20 AM PDT

yes

Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

Did you configure the (unknown model) router to be "N only"?

If not, in mixed mode it usually tops out at G speed.
bOb

Collapse -
(NT) You beat me to it.
by Coryphaeus / October 11, 2009 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one thing.
Collapse -
How?
by caesar6137 / October 11, 2009 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one thing.

How do I configure the router to be N only? I opened up the router settings and the mode is at 270Mbps. Is there something else that I need to change?

Collapse -
Supply a link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: How?

To the manual so others can see what page it's on.

Collapse -
What?
by caesar6137 / October 11, 2009 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Supply a link

I do not know what you mean.

Collapse -
If you help us help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: What?

By supplying the link to your router's manual or documentation a member might read it and share what page the setting is on. This is all volunteer so you get to help others help you.

Collapse -
That link is slow here!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2009 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: product info.

"What are the bandwidth options?

The fastest performance is with 300 Mbps, however this uses the 40 MHz frequency and may interfere with other wireless devices in the 2.4 GHz band such as other 802.11 equipment. To avoid this, you can set the router to work in the same 20 MHz bandwidth as 801.11b/g equipment, which reduces its maximum performance to 145 Mbps.

For both speeds, there is an "Only" setting, which stops the router from communicating with any of the slower non-802.11n products. When the "Auto" setting is used, the router automatically drops its speed to the slowest adapter."

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR854T.aspx

I'll post later where this setting is found in the manual.

Collapse -
See.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2009 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: product info.

See page 2-5 of that manual.

Sadly they don't document the available options so you'll have to see if you can exclude slow wifi connections.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.