Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Wireless Signal Booster for Security System?

by Ivorykeys / February 1, 2014 10:15 PM PST

Hello,

I'm new here and did a search but was unsuccessful in finding anything specifically on the topic...hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction.

I have a wireless security system. For some reason, the signal strength in my home is not good (7/30), and the company (Protect America) is telling me there is nothing they can do to improve this, and subsequently, they want to downgrade me to a wired broadband system (via a cable modem). I have tried moving the security antenna (the wire is a 15" in length) to several areas, high and low, but I just can barely get the signal to 9-10.

Is there such a thing as a wireless signal booster that will improve my signal strength? I believe the system works off of an AT&T and/or T-Mobile 3-G GSM platform, and has this card in my GE Simon XT controller. P-A tells me that my area is supposed to have strong signal potential, and it is my home interference/system location that is the problem. I'm skeptical since I always had a pretty good signal up to fairly recently.

At the risk of being too wordy here, just some background info that might help...the system seemed to work OK for the past 6-8 months, but I never ever really got over a 14, which would be fine since Protect America always told me that any 'double-digit' signal is fine and will work quickly and with the wireless phone app, but now I am hardly receiving an acceptable signal over 7.

I can't think of anything I have that would interfere with a signal, like new computers, other wireless devices or appliances or equipment that I have introduced into my home that might interfere with a wireless signal, so I am really at a loss here. Any input from folks with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are wireless signal boosters available for cell phones on ebay (just do a search for "wireless signal booster" or "mobile signal booster" and you will see a ton), but I don't know the compatibility with a security system signal, there seem to be many types, and the prices range from $10 to $800+, so there must be some serious differences between these repeaters or signal boosters. I'm not sure where to start here.

My guess is that a signal booster/repeater would also need to be retrofitted to my security system hardware somehow, with custom fittings/jacks, so I've got questions, most which P-A Tech Support can't or won't answer. After no less than 8 separate calls with different 'technical advisors', escalating the problem, the security company has been absolutely zero help with this and just want to brush me off and have me go with a broadband system...they get a C- to a D in customer service and knowledge (I'm being kind) with regard to solving any problems, but don't get me started on an off-topic rant.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Signal Booster for Security System?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Signal Booster for Security System?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you ever get an answer to your question?
by tomasek44121 / January 6, 2015 10:19 AM PST

Hello. I have Protect America as well and am having the same issues with signal strength on my panel. It never gets much above 7. Did you ever find out if there is some sort of booster that will increase the signal to your panel? Thank you.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
All will be ok
by Alexss1969 / February 24, 2014 5:33 AM PST

Hi, <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">you are so worried. Grin I do not know who told you that anything amplifiers overlap. I using amplifiers everywhere - in the car and at home, though of course there is no security system .. But I assure you, they do not interfere with anything and perfectly functional. Just read the specifications of any
signal booster , all words that they do not interfere. (as i know!)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?