Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Wireless setup with TP-LINK TL-WDR3600

Ok. So my family has a big house and a lot of devices on the WiFi. The issue is me being very much a tech nerd, I also have a lot of stuff on the wifi. So it is very slow not to mention the signals bad (we also do not have working wired ethernet). So to fix this I have ordered the TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 and a PowerLine Ethernet adapter set. I want to know what is the best option, do I create an access point of the current router, or is there a way I can create my own little network with the router I'm ordering with a different passcode for just my devices? I would prefer tot have my own "network" if you will, with just my stuff and a different name & password. But what is the best way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless setup with TP-LINK TL-WDR3600
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless setup with TP-LINK TL-WDR3600
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"Best" is not possible.

In reply to: Wireless setup with TP-LINK TL-WDR3600

That would require a few hours of chatting about many topics.

As to your own network, since you share the internet connection I'm going with not a good idea. Complicates things and may have no payoff.

If your gear has 5GHz WiFi you could use that for your own WiFi system and put everyone else on 2.4GHz.
Bob

Collapse -
Question

In reply to: "Best" is not possible.

But I've been reading and isn't it possible to kinda create like an Access Point with a different SSID and Password and then have that wired back to the modem I have on the other side of the house. Wouldn't that in effect give me "my own network" if you will. If not could you point me in the right direction to figure this out. Because I don't really want to kick everyone off. And the router I am ordering for my personal use is dual band, so couldn't I just put the 2.5ghz and the 5ghz on a different channel from the original modem/router.

Collapse -
Google this.

In reply to: Question

"How to use a router as a WAP."

Bingo, your own 2.4 GHz hotspot.

OK, but how will you deal with the 802.11n single channel in the usual 40MHz OFDM?
Bob

Collapse -
Clarify

In reply to: Google this.

Aha!
OK so now I have another problem. I have no clue what you mean by "OK, but how will you deal with the 802.11n single channel in the usual 40MHz OFDM?" So could you please explain.

Collapse -
It's on the Wikipedia.

In reply to: Clarify

Collapse -
Thank You

In reply to: It's on the Wikipedia.

Sorry, and thank you for the help. My last question is this. What would be the course of action now. I understand the article you posted and what you're saying, but what to do now?

Collapse -
Disregard The Last One

In reply to: It's on the Wikipedia.

So first of please disregard that last one, as I had not done all my research. So the original gateway we have is an Arris NVG589. It say in the manual that "Mode - The pull-down menu allows you to select and lock the Gateway into the wireless transmission modeyou want: B/G/N, B-only, B/G, G-only, or N-only.For compatibility with clients using 802.11b (up to 11 Mbps transmission), 802.11g (up to 20+ Mbps), 802.11a (up to 54 Mbit/s using the 5 GHz band), or 802.11n (from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s with the use of four spatial streams at a channel width of 40 MHz), select B/G/N. To limit your wireless LAN to one mode or the other, select G-only, N-only, or B-only, or some combination that applies to your setup."

(http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/26009/1/Motorola%20NVG589%20VDSL2%20Gateway.pdf#page46)
So couldn't I just switch the Gateway to run in 802.11a or 802.11g then not worry?

Collapse -
a?

In reply to: Disregard The Last One

As I read the link on channels, "802.11a" while possible means that you may find common gear may not support that. Why not pull back from 40MHz OFDM to 20MHz? Then you have more than one 802.11n channel.

About the term gateway. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=wikipedia+internet+gateway confirms that term to be what I knew it as. I programmed routers years ago so if a product is named that, odd but sure.

At least you know the channel issue enough to change it if it creates issues. For me, I pull back to 802.11g since 54 megabit is usually higher than most internet connections.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.