Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Wireless Security

by raybies / February 27, 2005 12:01 PM PST

I have a linksys wrt54gs router, broadcom (speedbooster) adapter, and xp. One hardwired machine and one wireless.
Windows xp firewall is enabled.
The router has a NAT/SPI type firewall.
DHCP enabled.(max. users- 2)
Changed the ssid.
Changed the administrator password.
Disabled the ssid broadcast.
Enabled WEP (128-bit)
Enabled MAC filtering.
I think that's all I can do without getting more software. (eg. Anti Virus, Spyware Blaster,
AdAware, etc.)
Any suggestions? Are the freewares worth considering with something potentially so important?
What am I leaving out?
Thank you all. This is a great forum.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ray, That's A Good Start...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2005 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless Security

You've got most of the basics covered for intrusion prevention. Now, get a good antivirus and spyware removal tools installed. Any antivirus is only as good as it's last update. Keep most of them current, including the free ones, and you should do fine. The brand you use is up to you. I use a major brand name (McAfee) because I get both corporate and retail versions free...

In regards to spyware removal tools, I use the free ones at the links below. I think they work better than the "paid for" brands that I have tried. Once again, make sure you keep the definitions up to date on the programs below as well:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Thanks
by raybies / March 1, 2005 10:55 AM PST

Downloaded the spyware removal tools that you recommended. They pulled out about 3000 questionable (and not so questionable) items. I had run Spybot once, about 2 months ago.
Am not confident enough to deal with any potential issues with beta stuff.
Now I guess I just need a good antivirus (and regularly update all the tools and scan, of course).
Thanks, Grif

Collapse -
Try using LucidLink wireless security software, free
by lucidlink / April 18, 2005 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Security

LucidLink Wireless Security is based upon the most current security technologies available today, including 802.X, 802.11i, WPA, WPA2, and RADIUS.

LucidLink just announced a free offer of it's $99 wireless security software called Lucid Link. http://www.lucidlink.com/

It received Wi-Fi Planets best of show award twice!

Ryan

Collapse -
Ryan, If I Remember Correctly...There's One Disadvantage..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 18, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

..There must be a hard wired computer on the network to use as the "permission giver" AND it must be turned ON.

That's not always workable on a home network.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif...

Grif,

So this solution, you are SURE, will NOT work with a totally wireless Linksys setup?

DRAT, after I've sent over ONE HOUR downloading all of this at a VERY SLOW rate even on satellite. They are STINGY on how much bandwidth they allow out for their 37.1 MB file.

Thanks ALOT lucidlink. BTW, lucidlink, are you somehow on commission with this outfit?

Collapse -
William, Pretty Sure....Read....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 18, 2005 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif...

...the text on the download page at the link below:

Their FAQ's page:

http://www.lucidlink.com/Tech_Support/faq/faq.asp#4

What are the system requirements for LucidLink Server to run?

The server must have:
* A wired connection to your LAN
* 50 MB available hard disk space
* Windows 2000, 2003, or XP operating system (server or workstation versions)
The server does not have to be your existing mail or file server, it is simply the machine that hosts the LucidLink administrative functions. Because of its small footprint and CPU usage, the server can be any machine on your wired LAN. However, it should be a machine that is:
* Accessible to the person who will authorize and de-authorize LucidLink users
* Turned on all the time, or whenever users will need to connect to the wireless network

And next, this information is on their download page:

http://www.lucidlink.com/Product_Information/download_3user_full.asp

"Security Management Console
This software runs on a PC that is wired to your network and authorizes wireless clients to access the network"

"LucidLinkTM does NOT require a dedicated server; any standard computer on the network can be used for this purpose. This computer must be on to provide authorization to a wireless client."

In addition, I seem to remember you having a Windows 98 machine...Check the System Requirements below:

System Requirements:
Wireless clients require Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The computer that runs the management console can be installed on computers running Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server.

Since Lucidlink/Ryan may be promoting his own website and product, it would be interesting to hear back from him about it. It might get removed as SPAM as there is one more identical post elsewhere on the forums.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you Grif...
by William Randall / April 18, 2005 8:46 AM PDT

Grif,

While posting my yquestion above and before reading your reply, my LONG-TIME download finished and I found out that I could NOT EVEN INSTALL this wonder at a "FREE $99 value".

Is THAT Brian Seacrist we are dealing with here and why the crap info from him???

Collapse -
Grif, again...
by William Randall / April 18, 2005 9:57 AM PDT

"In addition, I seem to remember you having a Windows 98 machine..."

We have both WinXP and WinXP Pro now but I'm highly disappointed in this "less than forthright "advertisement" as it appears to me as I've seen his post too in more than one forum.

This kind of crup bugs the blank out of me.

Thank you Grif for your heads up, even if I found out after I saw your warning in one forum.

William

Collapse -
Commission, you say?
by raybies / April 18, 2005 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif...

Sure sounds like a "timely suggestion" to me also.
Thanks for your help, you guys. I have since downloaded AVG Anti-Virus and am happy with it. It also is free.
In regard to wireless security, I am to understand that a good router, set to appropriate security settings is the first best thing you can do. There is good info on this site, re; wireless security.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?