Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Wireless Router with best security

Hello,

I search but couldn't find info what wireless router is best for security as every device support different types of encryption ...
For example 128Bit encryption is good.
Speed is of course important but security is on first place as I have so many people around and so many AP's.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Router with best security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Router with best security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If the router . . .

In reply to: Wireless Router with best security

provides WPA or WPA2 that's as good as you can get.

Collapse -
Answer
Encryption/wireless

In theory WPA and even WPA2 could be decrypted when you use only 128 bit key but it is nothing you really need to worry about. Mostly its are you sending anything a government would want to crack since realistically they are the only ones with computers than can crack the actual encryption at 128bits.

Most hacker attacks on these systems are attempts to get your pre shared key. The actual encryption key is random but if you know the preshared key you can do man in the middle attacks. This is why corporations use certificates rather than preshared keys. It is not realistic to pay to have a certificate server in a home or small business so you just have to be careful with your keys and change them on any suspected exposure

Your security is actually that you have a lot of stupid people with AP around you. Someone will always run WEP or leave it open so they will be attacked first.

Collapse -
Answer
Device

I was looking on review here on cnet and I saw that linksys E4200 and E3200 are good, also ASUS RT-N56U but I'm not concern about speed how much what device can offer for security and monitoring connections that's why I was asking for any other device that is known for good security, firewall, or detection, filtering etc....
So if you know any device please name it so I can check

thanks

Collapse -
Stumper.

In reply to: Device

Since all the models I see have monitoring and WPA2 for security it's like asking for a car that has wheels.

I wonder if you were asking for something with easier to use than the usual?
Bob

Collapse -
security

In reply to: Stumper.

YEs sorry I was reading what I wrote...

Collapse -
For now. Today.

In reply to: security

All routers have a page about connected devices and have WPA2.

For that reason, nothing stands out in your request.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.