General discussion

Wireless Router that allows me to turn off the wireless ...

while allowing my desktop to still be connected. How do I go about looking for a wireless router for this? Also it has to have the usual stuff like the firewall and work for computer that is running on Linux and Mac book. Sorry to sound so naive. I am so new to this stuff. I was born in the generation when Magnavox brought out PONG! Silly

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Wireless Router that allows me to turn off the wireless ...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless Router that allows me to turn off the wireless ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
So far.

All wireless routers have the option to turn off the wireless radio.

- Collapse -
Thanks

as you can tell I am really new to this. Silly

- Collapse -
New or old.

Before you buy, post what make and model you are going with. Since it's not a wifi concern almost any model should be fine. But post anyway.
Bob

- Collapse -
I was thinking of these

Linksys by Cisco WRT160N Wireless-N Broadband Router
D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router
and wondering why the price difference for this one: Cisco-Linksys WRT610N Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router

What is dual-N band? Also will a Mac Ipod touch work well with these or is it better to get the airport extreme which sounds extreme to me since my wireless doesn't include tv, tivo, or anything like a printer. Yes, call me a dinosaur but I can still cope with a printer hooked up to a computer.

- Collapse -
Very nice model.

The ipod should be fine but some need a little help. About dual band, if the sellers won't talk to you I'd consider shopping elsewhere. Try the site linksys.com too.
Bob

- Collapse -
Go with the D-link . . .

I have both. The D-link is more user friendly, especially for a newbie to networking. And yes, you can turn the radio on or off.

And I was born in '48.

- Collapse -
Hey thanks

I will look into the various routers. I suppose if I can program a VCR I can do this right?

- Collapse -
If you can program a VCR

You are likely adept at most surgical procedures performed today.

- Collapse -
Got the Wifi

running, I guess it was easier than removing the spleen! Silly

CNET Forums