Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless router/internet help please...

by eric-nyc / July 1, 2008 12:24 AM PDT

I just purchased a Belkin F5D7230-4 yesterday. Got home and hooked it up no problem. Configured my PS3 to it no problem. Web surfing was fast and easy. Its hooked up to my Bright House DSL. I went on the Play Station network to download a demo game. It took 6 hours to download a 1500kb demo. Signal power was between 90%-100% the whole time. Is this the download time i should expect with only a G-router or is the download time so long becausde of my internet speed. My internet speed is 7 mbps. Will upgrading to the 15 mbps speed up my downloads or is this the speed i should expect with a G-router.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless router/internet help please...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless router/internet help please...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's check our forum sticky settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

In our Networking forum we endorse these settings.

1. Latest firmware.
2. SSID broadcasting.
3. WPA-PSK
All other items stock save what is needed for your ISP.

Your post doesn't tell enough to see if you have the usual good setup. Also we note that WEP or less opens the doors to your issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Way to techy of an answer for me
by eric-nyc / July 1, 2008 1:14 AM PDT

A basic less techy answer would be more help full.

Collapse -
Perils of doing your own tech support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 1:28 AM PDT

At some point you'll have to learn about wifi and these terms or just pay to have it done. These settings are ones you should encounter during setup. Some don't want to learn about such (the "just make it work types") and for those they need to pay up for others to come in and make it happen.

You can try the phone support for your product and ask them how to get these settings done.
Bob

Collapse -
I appreciate your responses but...
by eric-nyc / July 1, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

I appreciate your responses but all of your info has still not aswered any of my questions in my origional post about speeds and download time.

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

You may have a setup that allows others to interfere with or use your connection. To get this under control we suggest these settings.

As to your download time, yes that's too slow for your connection.

I see you have choices here. Try the setup I noted, have it done, pay for more speed, and more.

Why not be sure about your setup?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. 802.11g is 54 megabits tops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: In short.

Your internet connection does NOT strain the wifi connection. Look elsewhere (such as security) for issues.

Collapse -
much improved...
by eric-nyc / July 2, 2008 2:26 AM PDT

I went home and adjusted my settings on the router to what you suggested. I downloaded another 1600KB demo from the PS3 store and it only took 2hrs 45 min. Still a little to long in my opinion but much improved from the previous 6 hrs. A couple of people have told me that the PS3 servers are not that fast. I thank you for your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!