Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Router - Disconnections

by Motionposhun / October 13, 2010 11:00 AM PDT

Hi all,

I?ve been experiencing several problems with wireless routers over the past few years and thought I?d try asking for advice. I keep having the same intermittent disconnects across multiple computers, having used 3 different routers.

The short of it is that every single router I?ve used has ended up having connection issues over wireless. During these intermittent issues, my computer would no longer connect to the internet despite still being connected to the router with ?5 bars,? an ?excellent? signal. At first, I thought it was an issue with my ISP, but I noticed that I could not even access the router page at 192.168.1.1 ? something I should be able to do even if the ISP?s connection did go down.

I?ve tried basic things:

power cycling the router (which does restore router access for a short time),
cmd -> ipconfig/release renew (doesn?t seem to restore router access reliably),
disabling security on the router (nada),
disconnecting and reconnecting via the network (same as release/renew),
changing the wireless channel (no noticeable difference between 1, 6, and 11)

Thus, I?m at a loss and left wondering what exactly is going on. This happens both through walls and when I?m right next to the router, so I doubt it?s interference from any solid object. And cycling the channel should rule out interference from most other 2.4GHz devices (and I?d think this would make the signal degrade from excellent anyhow).

I?m thinking of buying a new router which will hopefully be better, but I?m losing hope since I?ve yet to encounter a router that doesn?t have this problem and there?s at least 6 reviews for every router Newegg that claim it suffers from similar issues.

Any suggestions?

Routers:
Linksys WRT54G
Netgear WNR1000v2
Netgear DGN1000 (this one?s both a DSL modem and a wireless router)

ISP: AT&T DSL
OSes: Ranged from Windows XP to the now, Windows 7.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Router - Disconnections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Router - Disconnections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can tell one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

What security was used? Your story is consistent with WEP or no security. It's also consistent with what happens if you hide the SSID or if the router is just a little out of range.

That only covers the router. There are many laptops such as the dv6000/dv9000/tx1000 and other lines that have the issues above but I can't find the make and model as well as the above settings.
Bob

Collapse -
WPA2
by Motionposhun / October 13, 2010 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: I can tell one thing.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response. I was using WPA2 security, but toggling it off made no difference in terms of connection. SSID is being broadcasted. I don't think the connection would show 5 bars if it was just out of range... would it?

Most recently occurred with my Sony Vaio VGN-AW290 (Win 7) and Dell Latitude 620 (Win XP).

Collapse -
Given the story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: WPA2

Remember the forum advice is router defaults, WPA and WPA2 only if it works for your gear. XP didn't get WPA2 support until later.

Since it's three routers I wonder if the machine's in question have issues like a too tight firewall (my buddies run into folk that set the firewall to maximum security and wonder why it doesn't work.) Nothing in your posts reveal much except it is unlikely to be the router.

In the same house when you encounter all the machines failing you head straight to it being the owner that did the same thing to all machines. That is, we'll wipe out their security suite and see if the machines act normal. This is hard for some owners so we have to be gentle. Sometimes the owner digs in their heels so we have to reschedule. This is a way of giving them time to think over if they want help or not.

"I don't think the connection would show 5 bars if it was just out of range... would it?"

Yes it could. Rare but it could. It happened on a bum router to us.

Sorry but nothing else pops up here. At least the machines are not in the bad list.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by Motionposhun / October 14, 2010 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Given the story.

Well, the computer I'm currently using is running Zone Alarm, though that's always been set to medium.

I thinking it's a DHCP issue since this only seems to occur when more than one user is connected to the wireless. Or at least that's the only discernible pattern I can think of.

Thanks for your help regardless though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?