Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless router connection lost with streaming media?!

by Pete483 / November 20, 2006 1:21 PM PST

I have a strange problem I can't solve. Often times I lose my wireless internet connection when connecting to streaming media. Particularly, Motherlode on comedycentral.com and amazon.com song previews. After trying to buffer for a while, my signal quality will go from excellent, to lost.

The strage thing is that it isn't just my computer (CF74 toughbook running XP pro) that loses it's connection--everything on my wireless network loses its connection. Mostly, this is just my Roku Soundbridge. My router is a cheap Netgear WGR614 v7. Anyone have any thoughts? I never lose the connection except when this happens.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless router connection lost with streaming media?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless router connection lost with streaming media?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the same problem!
by Ken_Evans / December 1, 2006 10:56 AM PST

I looked all over trying to find someone who had the same issue. But I narrowed it down to this: That router works fine with Windows Media player, but not Real Player. It disconnects my internet connection when I got to places like nfl.com and try to watch game highlights.

I'm actually on hold right now trying to find out what the issue is with this thing. It took me about 30 days to figure out that it was my router, because I had just reformatted. Then I got a laptop, and it has the same problem as well!

Drives me crazy!

Collapse -
wgr614 v7 problems
by hd_nated / January 30, 2007 5:17 AM PST

I have had a similar problem you two have described. But only when a second computer with a D-Link WNA2330 RangeBooster G Notebook Adapter is connected at the same time. Then the connection drops about every five minutes... I thought it was because I my router is set up on the floor below me, but then I brought both lap-tops with in a meter from router and they still dropped the connection... have you found any solutions for the dropping signal?

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: wgr614 v7 problems

My neighbors laptop was having extreme difficulty last week. After he told me a bit more I suggested we change the RF channel. We had it on channel 6 and move to 11. It's working now.

In your case I'd also check that the firmware is updated and you didn't disable SSID broadcast since I'm running around flipping it back on. "Tech" is paying his car payment just by runnning around turning that back on. Thanks to those security pundits "Tech" is going to pay off his car early.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm
by Pete483 / January 30, 2007 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

Still haven't figured it out. Streaming windows media doesn't seem to do it, but streaming Real Player stuff almost always does. I'm pretty much stumped and have resorted to just avoiding Real Player stuff.

Collapse -
And I'm stumped too. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm

Not a word what router you have, the firmware version, the SSID setting, what is your SSID and more.

It's likely you'll have to call the geek squad and pay.

Bob

Collapse -
Info
by Pete483 / January 30, 2007 1:28 PM PST

Sorry, thought I posted that in the first post. I've changed the SSID a couple of times and currently have Netgear1. The router is a Netgear WGR614 v7. I'm using WEP, and am on channel 11, though I've changed that around too. Firmware is V1.0.12_1.0.12NA.

Collapse -
Firmware has new version (link)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 8:20 PM PST
In reply to: Info
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGR614v7.asp lists a .14 version with a note about Realplayer reboots.

"WGR614v7 Firmware Version 1.0.14
North America & World Wide Versions.

Published October 13, 2006.

Bugs Fixed
Static routing setup can now accept host route.
Fixed a bug which caused the router reboot when using Realplayer Online."

Other bugs noted. I thought I mentioned firmware updates as something I've found to help with router problems.

Bob
Collapse -
wgr614 v7 netgear router drop connection
by samarrana / November 24, 2007 10:54 PM PST

well last month i bought one netgear WGR614 router but same i had problem that my wireless drop connection while working. even it was showing exilent connactivity of wireless with my laptop. even i called to my regional NETGEAR customer care and that lady she assist me on phone. i change route's settings and even i update Firmware. but nothing workout. then they replaced that router. but there was same problem. then i try to update my ADSL DM111 Modem. i updated its firmware and then i fixed that problem. but i realy hard to fix this. i think you must try to update you MODEM. coz your router keep connecting with your leptop but your modem drop internet connection to router. you must try this and put 1490 MTU size in your Wireless Router. i hope it would work.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by acheron13 / April 18, 2008 8:50 AM PDT

I have the same problem trying to stream Real Media Player using a Linksys BEFW11S4 router, but with a wired connection to the router.

Collapse -
Same problem
by acheron13 / April 18, 2008 8:42 AM PDT

I have the same problem trying to stream Real Media Player with a Linksys BEFW11S4 router, but with a wired connection to the router.

Collapse -
Did you try the above?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2008 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

We can save time by making complete posts.

Collapse -
it is in the realmedia player settings
by kimanikk / January 8, 2009 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try the above?

real meadia is set to stream using RTSP as default which usually blocked by most wireless routers. The safest way around this is to enable HTTP streaming as default by going to Tools>Preferences and click on network transports (this may differ depending on your version of realplayer). At that page click on RTSP settings and uncheck all boxes except the one that enables http streaming (last one in version 11) and click OK. Go back and do the same for PNA settings. From now on it shoul work OK without disconnecting your wireless connection

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?