General discussion

Wireless router alternative?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so if I'm not following any rules please let me know now rather than bashing me for it later!

My question is in regards to the internet at my university. Without going into incriminating detail, we have an ethernet only based system and installing a wireless router is strictly prohibited. In fact, you need to register your computer's i.p. address and all devices you use with your port under your student I.D. Any other i.p. addresses will not have access when connected to the same ethernet port.

I cannot work with my laptop only on my desk in the corner of the room. I'd like to take it around my dorm but i'd like to do so without violating the terms of my internet agreement.

The main question is this:
Does a technology exist that works as a wireless ethernet cable? That is one end plugging into the wall and the other end plugs into the computer and sends information over some type of wireless channel? This way the i.p. address would just be that of my computer and not of a router.

If nothing like that exists, my default question is then this:

Could I program a router, (apple airport express, linksys, etc.) to have the i.p. of my registered computer without letting the internet company know I am using a router?

I would like to try the first solution of course, because that way I am not violating my contract!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Discussion is locked
Reply to: Wireless router alternative?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless router alternative?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
How big is your dorm?

Cant you buy a long cable?

- Collapse -
Too big for a cable.

I would prefer a wireless approach.

- Collapse -

If you don't have a issue with having to buy 2 boxes you can use a wireless bridge. Many routers can run as a bridge but it depends how picky about the word router You would plug one in wall jack and another into your PC lan port.

To use the internal card in your PC you would have to use an AP in most cases since it most PC cards cannot be put into bridge mode. If they restrict by mac address as well as IP then this will not work since you have a different mac on your wireless card. Again a "router" can act as a AP.

Then again if you are going to violate the rules a router can spoof the mac address.

Still it is trivial for them to detect a AP or a router. A bridged connection can also be detected it is not as obvious.

Many times they put restriction in like this because one person will pay for the service and share it with everyone else. If everyone has the service it is unclear why they would have the restriction.

- Collapse -
Alright, I know the basic difference, that one has wires, an

I have a wired BSNL connection; if instead I had a wireless connection, would it mean that there would be no telephone line running from the exchange to my home, but a wireless modem at my home that directly connects to the exchange three kms away, like a mobile device?

Or does it mean that there is a wired telephone line that ends at my home, and from there on, it is connected to a wireless device with a limited range so that I can move around in my house using a laptop, and if I move further out, the signal will get lost? That's Wi-Fi, isn't it?

CNET Forums