HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Wireless Problem with Vista.

by jkswiss / October 9, 2007 4:53 AM PDT

(Self Built, P5NE SLI Asus motherboard, Nvidia 7600 Video Card, 2 Gigs Ram, 2.2 Ghz Core 2 duo, Vista 32bit home premium, Dlink Airplus G DWL g510)

I was wondering if anyone out there had some similar problems like myself. I'm having random connection issues with Vista and wireless. It is the strangest thing because when the problems start, it's only the browsers and email clients that cannot connect. For some odd reason, a p2p client such as Azureus will continue to download.
I thought it might be a firewall issue so I disabled it and it wasn't the case.

The thing about this intermittent problem is that it takes a restart to correct the problem. The repair connection doesn't work at all. This requires me to reboot about once a day, sometimes twice. The problem still persists when I changed out my Dlink wireless card with an edimax one. I also changed wireless routers from a Netgear to Buffalo. Problem still exists. I updated my Asus p5ne sli motherboards firmware, hoping that would help but to no avail.

Its disheartening that I will have to deal with this computer until I get a new one as this is a recent build with decent specs (Vista Premium, 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs ram, Nvidia 7600 and with expensive quiet fans and heatsinks, I built for quietness).

I suspect that the motherboard might be the issue. If anyone has any clues, please help me out. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Problem with Vista.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Problem with Vista.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 areas that are well known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

1. If SSID is disabled, people report drops.

2. Which Netgear and Buffalo? Some P2P sites tell of drops on some models. Some of the Buffalos allow you to install a Linux router OS so that issue is curable.

Finally we have the bad old cordless phone issue. Nothing like a hammer for that issue.

Your post was almost complete. I wish it had a little more on the model numbers.

Bob

Collapse -
router
by jkswiss / October 10, 2007 5:00 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost certain that it isn't the router. I know for a fact my netgear will drop when I do p2p, the newer buffalo won't. I also have a Linksys WRT which I installed the linux thing on, used to work great until I dropped it.

The thing is that P2P continues to work while other internet things won't. That is what is making the problem so difficult for me. Why does p2p continue to download while my browser can't?

Collapse -
"The thing is that P2P continues to work while"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: router

Actually that's a know sign of that issue. Research that if you want but you just convinced me what it is.

Bob

Collapse -
wow quick reply
by jkswiss / October 10, 2007 5:06 AM PDT

So which one do you suspect is the known issue, the SSID or do you believe it is the router. Another tidbit of information I should have included previously is that other computers, a dell notebook running vista basic and another dell notebook running XP Professional will continue to work on the same router while mine won't.

Collapse -
same here
by k5ox / October 10, 2007 5:53 PM PDT

Hello,
I have a HP compaq notebook (1.8G Duo centrino,2G RAM) and I am facing excatly the same problem both at work and at home. My p2p continues to work, the network connection looks all right but IE cannot connect. At work other lucky people with XP can connect without problems while I have to reboot.
Thanks,
Raj

Collapse -
Same oh!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2007 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: same here

It's a known issue with some routers and some versions of firmware.

Why not take this knowledge and apply it?

Bob

Collapse -
sorry..
by k5ox / October 11, 2007 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Same oh!

Hello,
I am sorry, maybe I am mising something. I understand that it could be a problem with router or firmware. How do I go about in order to solve it? update the firmware or something?
thanks in advance
Raj

Collapse -
Sadly, you left out the details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2007 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry..

While sometimes the firmware cures it, sometimes you have to set some options in your P2P software.

-> You didn't share the details so no one can be very specific.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by k5ox / October 11, 2007 12:59 AM PDT

sorry about that. here goes,

HP compaq 6710s, 1.8 GHz centrino Duo, 2G RAM, Vista Home premium,
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, Broadcom 590x 10/100 Ethernet
I am not sure which router I have or how to find that out. I have Azeures client which seems to work fine, although at times there is simple no network connection and rebooting is the only option.
hope this is useful. TIA.
Raj

Collapse -
The issue is not the PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2007 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

It's the router (no name found yet?) and the P2P software settings.

It may be awhile till I check back.

Bob

Collapse -
Tomato
by jkswiss / October 12, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

Since you were pretty certain that the router caused the problem I went ahead and flashed my Buffalo router to the Tomato linux firmware. Here's to hoping that it solves my problem.

Collapse -
FOUND SOLUTION, REAL DEAL
by jkswiss / November 6, 2007 8:38 AM PST

Okay, in case someone is doing a google search for vista wireless problem. After many, many false leads I finally found a solution to my problem and hopefully yours.

First the symptoms: You have a solid Internet and Local Connection Strength. It shows you that you have local and internet available when you clearly do not have internet.Your browsing along and suddenly, your page fails to load..your like ***?! If you happen to have a p2p running such as Azureus, sometimes its usually still working, but once in a blue moon, it stops working too. The only solution you have is to do a system reboot, which starts to become a major pita when you have to do it once or twice a day.

Stuff that doesn't work. netsh winsock reset and the autotuning disabling is a bunch of crock. Also, your router is fine. I messed with perfectly good Buffalo firmware that gave me no problems with media server to Tomato that can't seem to maintain a connection. Second, its not your wireless card. I wasted a bunch of money buying a different companies wireless adapter.

Now that I told you what the solutions aren't, here's what actually worked. I've been having a rock solid connection for the better part of two weeks without a single restart. Here it goes..ready?

Its this.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us

You have to go to that site, follow the links, and enter the article number 937168 along with your email. Microsoft will send you a link shortly allowing you to download some kind of patch. For some reason they really control the distribution of this patch, maybe it messes up systems that don't actually need the correction so they don't want Joe Schmo downloading it. However, it was a stroke of luck I found this, after weeks of pouring through google searches. Hope this helped. I know this problem with vista made my life miserable.

Collapse -
Here's another KB article I use a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2007 8:54 AM PST

Some Vista laptops may not connect to Wifi routers.

Read about a registry change at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

We have that one in our Networking forum sticky. Thanks for the new article.

Bob

Collapse -
That's a wierd one. "After you configure Internet Connection
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2007 8:56 AM PST

"After you configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows Vista"...

The above discussion didn't note ICS so I didn't clue into that issue.

Part of getting good advice is telling what you've done. At least you found that ICS article.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by k5ox / November 6, 2007 9:46 PM PST

I installed the hotfix.
Thanks a lot jkswiss. I appreciate the efforts that you have put in to get the soluion.
Raj

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.