Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless problem with my new laptop

I have Netgear's RangeMax 240 Wireless router...It was working well when all I had was my land line computer and my wife's laptop (IBM ThinkPad). However, once I bought my new Dell Inspiron 1505 (Intel Pro/wireless card) laptop, it began to have issues. Whenever I would try to log onto the internet with my Dell, I would MAYBE log on for about a minute, before I lose connection. But that's not the only issue...it ruins the internet connection all together...where I would have to unplug the modem and let it sit for a couple of hours before I can get the connection back. Once connection is restored, the land line is back up, and my wife's laptop will work again. It is a neverending cycle that I am frustrated with.

In summary, whenever I turn my laptop on, the internet connection goes down. I spent 140 bucks on this thing, and it sucks.I tried the help line, and the people over in India tried to tell me it was my cordless phone. After 4 phone calls, in which every single technician told me a different issue, I've stopped calling. Supposedly, if I call two more times, they will send me another one. I'm fed up with it.

Any suggestions on a new wireless router...one good for a two story home?

thx

I know I found a thread that was similar to my problem, but there was not feedback on it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless problem with my new laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless problem with my new laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First, this is not tech support.

In reply to: Wireless problem with my new laptop

Not to send you elsewhere but this forum is people helping people. Your post sounds a little demanding so if so, I must bow out now. Just tell me if you are willing to discuss possible fixes, improvements without expecting a fix.

-> The most common issue is among these.

1. The firmware is out of date.

This one floors new owners. They expect a new device to be ready to use. Surprise. It ain't so. Look at the maker's web site and see if they have an update.

2. The wifi router comes set to a default RF channel.

Change it. Try 1 then 5 then 11. It's crowded out there.

3. Don't enable security feature UNTIL it's working. Then explore what works and what doesn't.

Here's another shocker for new wifi owners. Not all features work. Sorry I must decline to tell why this is so. Why? I've written about this dozens of times so I decline to post it again and again.

But there is hope to secure it. We only need to go with what works.

4. Going the distance.

Many expected wifi to cover the entire house. Another surprise is it won't.

What can help is to centrally locate the wifi router. Some owners dig in their heels on this and you have to walk away and give them time to think it over why this is needed.

5. FULL DETAILS.

Many members forget to read the words in RED. For example the make/model of the modem could find that we need to adjust something. Omission of details means we can't look into that.

Hopefully one of the usuals is the issue here.

As to the 140 bucks, that's not much compared to this just a few years ago. Part of the price decrease is due to dumping support.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks...

In reply to: First, this is not tech support.

didn't mean to sound demanding Bob...

sounds like I have a lot to learn about WiFi's.

thanks again for the info..

jeff

Collapse -
Remember. Tell a bit more so

In reply to: thanks...

We can see if there is any known interaction from your combo of modem and router.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.