Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wireless problem after reformat.

by wobyschall / March 1, 2007 11:23 AM PST

I recently reformatted a Sony Vaio for a buddy and I'm having troubles setting up the internet and wireless stuff... any help would be awesome! Thanks
-Wobs

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless problem after reformat.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless problem after reformat.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell me you used the Restore CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 11:26 AM PST

Otherwise you opted for the hard road of finding motherboard and more drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Used windows cd
by wobyschall / March 1, 2007 1:07 PM PST

I used the Windows XP CD that the computer had...

Collapse -
Now you get to install the drivers
by linkit / March 1, 2007 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: Used windows cd

After installing XP, the next step is to install ALL OF THE PROPER DRIVERS. Use the drivers CD that came with the computer. If you don't have the drivers CD, then download the drivers from your computer model's page on the computer maker's website. (Hmmm, you never did tell us the model number.)

If the wireless network adapter didn't come with the computer, then download the adapter's driver form the the adapter maker's website. (Hmmm, you still haven't told us the name of the wireless network adapter in the computer.)

Collapse -
A guy walks into a bar...
by jackson dougless / March 1, 2007 12:18 PM PST

My car is making a funny noise...
You know, the thing...

What do all of these things have in common with your post? If you said that they're lacking any useful details, give yourself a prize!

What are you having problems with exactly? Is the wireless card being detected? Is it not picking up any wireless networks? Are you having difficulty connecting to a wireless network? Are you having trouble getting useful communications from the wireless network? Something else perhaps?

You walk into an auto repair shop and say that you car is making a funny noise, and the first thing the mechanic is going to do, after rolling their eyes and thinking a few unprofessional things about you, is ask you to elaborate more on the nature of the noise. Replace car with computer, and mechanic with support tech, and you've got the current situation.

Collapse -
Wont connect in anyway
by wobyschall / March 1, 2007 1:10 PM PST

I reformatted, clearing everything. It wont even let me connect to the internet or any other network using the CAT 5... I've done this to multiple PCs but I've never had this trouble... I'm not sure!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.