Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wireless printing

by karenblixn / October 9, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

I am using XP Professional with a Canon printer and a wireless router (no print server) for two laptops. The printer address is something like 192.168.1...

This was working great (set up by a professional service), but now is showing the printer either "offline", "unable to connect", or "The print spooler Service is not running" (both laptops).

The wireless is working in respect to me sending this via wireless internet service - so why is the printer not connected or what do I need to do to reconnect?

Much thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless printing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
firewall
by karenblixn / October 9, 2005 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless printing

BTW, I did want to mention that all software firewalls on the desktops and laptops are disabled.

Collapse -
Karen, What Have You Done To Troubleshoot?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless printing

Which model of Canon printer is it?

Let's make sure I'm correct in understanding your explanation. The printer is connected locally to an XP computer which has a wireless router connected to it. Yes? Is it connected through a USB cable or an older parallel cable to the XP computer? Next, since you don't have a print server on the printer, it appears like you're then printing from the laptops using a "shared" printer over the wireless connections. Yes? Or, since you mentioned the IP address, is the printer set up to print from the IP address? (I've never set up an IP address printer when connected to a computer but it's probably possible.)

First, have you verified the printer is working at all...Can you print from the primary XP computer where the printer is connected?

Next, have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling the printer software on the laptops?

Next, when using the laptop computers, can you view other shared files and folders on the XP? On the XP, have made sure that the printer is still "shared"?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Troubleshooting
by karenblixn / October 10, 2005 2:13 AM PDT

Grif,

Yes, I have verified that the desktop printer is working. It will print from the desktop and the laptops when USB connected to each (just not wirelessly)

The printer is the Canon ip8500 via USB 2.0.

A computer "geek" service set up the wireless network, and I believe that yes, it is via IP address. I have confirmed on all computers, the printer is still showing "shared".

I haven't shared any files before, will look into this, and try reinstalling the printer software on the laptops.

Thanks,

Collapse -
I give up
by karenblixn / October 10, 2005 2:16 PM PDT

I have no idea any more how to get my laptop to find my printer.

As recommended by the "geek" people I deleted the printer with the ip address, in hopes that my computer would actually automatically find the ip address. Nothing. The router, printer, desktop, laptop all work except for wireless printing.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to "add a printer" using the add a printer -> add a network printer -> connect to a printer... http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer
what would "server" "printers" "myprinter" ".printer" be? the printer name is a Canon Pixma iP8500.

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
Karen, It Shouldn't Be That Difficult
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I give up

Adding a shared printer isn't difficult AS LONG AS the printer is actually being shared on your home network. You haven't really clarified that "sharing" of files and printers between your computers is already set up.

As I asked earlier, if the desktop computer and printer are actually being shared, then you should be able to open "My Network Places" from your laptop and "see" the desktop computer and the printer. (You should also be able to see the shared computer and printer if you RIGHT click on "Start", choose "Explore", then click on the + sign next to "My Network Places" at the bottom of the screen, then the + sign next to "Entire Network", then the + sign next to "Microsoft Windows Network".)

If you can't "see" the desktop computer and printer in this manner from the laptop computers, then you'll need to share out the desktop computer and printer so it's visible to the remote laptops. It involves creating a "Workgroup" name on the desktop computer, then sharing out the printer.

If you CAN see the printer in "My Network Places", then simply open the "Printers" folder on the laptops, choose "Add A Printer", then follow the steps in the link below to set up a standard "Network Printer". (Windows XP and 2000 are similar in their methods although you'll need to open the Printers box by clicking on Start-Printers/Faxes.)

http://www.ucertify.com/articles/70-218/2101049.html

On the other hand, if you know the IP address of the printer and the printer is already has its settings configured for a specific IP address, then you should be able to add the printer something like this:

# Start, Settings, Printers
# Double-click Add Printer
# Select next
# Select Local Printer
# Uncheck Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer
# Select Next
# Select Create a new port
# Change Type to Standard TCP/IP Port
# Select Next twice
# Add IP address to Printer Name or IP Address box (port name automatically fills in)
# Select Next
# Select Finish
# Select the proper printer and select Next (NOTE: If the printer was previously used as a network printer, it should already be in the list. If it is not listed, you may have to download a printer driver.)
# Name the printer whatever you want or leave it as is.
# Select Next
# Select Do not share this printer and Next
# Select Yes to print a test page and Next
# Select Finish
# Confirm Test Page did print.

The link below provides pictures and steps to follow as well:

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.network.printer.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Added one computer
by karenblixn / October 11, 2005 8:33 AM PDT

Thanks for your assistance.

Ok, I was able to follow your directions to find that the laptops and printers are not in the workgroup. I was able to add a laptop (will try the other one later), but was not able to add the printer.

I followed the wizard for the "set up a wireless network for home or small office". It had me use a USB flash drive to transfer the network settings. Again, no problem with the laptop, but I don't have a USB port on my router or printer. To try and do this manually it wants me to "manually enter them into each device in the following order"...

My router is working fine, and I hate to fix something that isn't broke.

I also built another network using the "set up a home or small office network. (now I have two) Still no printer though. I'll keep working on it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!