Peripherals forum

General discussion

Wireless printers without an existing network or router

by LaPlant / November 3, 2009 10:32 PM PST

I am looking to buy a new laser printer and am attracted to the notion of being able to print from my laptop (built-in wireless) without having to attach/detach a cable to it all the time. Is it possible to print to a wireless printer without having an existing network or router in place? I am looking at the brother HL-5370DWT or HL-2170W but am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless printers without an existing network or router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless printers without an existing network or router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only mildly hard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 11:06 PM PST

You'll learn about ADHOC WIFI networking to get this to work. The only problem I run into is that many want this stuff to "just work." We're not there yet.

So yes, you can print to most wifi enabled printers but setup is mildly taxing.
Bob

Collapse -
adhoc connection
by LaPlant / November 4, 2009 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Only mildly hard.

Having never heard of adhoc networking, I did some checking and am concerned with some of the issues that appear to be involved with this type of connection. 1) First is the security issue. I will be using this printer in a large office building even though I will be the only one using this printer. I do not want my laptop to be vulnerable while working at this office. My laptop is currently not connected to any network at this office. 2) I also use this laptop at home on a wireless router network and wonder whether I will be able to go back and forth between the two types of connections. 3) Is the decreased speed of the connection noticeable while printing?

Given all these issues I wonder what is the benefit of having a wireless printer, when you have to still have to use a router or access point anyway. You might as well hardwire your printer with LAN cable to the wireless router and connect to printer that way. Is there a way to connect to a printer wirelessly without all these drawbacks.

Collapse -
Which is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: adhoc connection

Why you would enable WPA on the adhoc setup. Sorry but all this is mildly hard but not impossible. What I find is most don't want or need a course in networking but it sure can help.

In short, set it up and don't fret about the security at the first go round but select WPA if you can. And there is no need to switch networks as we can have one network on our ethernet port and another on the wifi and it all works out.

Sorry but if you wanted something else that was not in your post.

Why not a BLUETOOTH enabled printer so you don't deal with or change your wifi?
Bob

Collapse -
bluetooth printing
by LaPlant / November 4, 2009 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Which is

Can't find bluetooth printer, but did find adapters that cost as much as the printer.

My laptop does not used a LAN connection at home. That means more plugging in. I use wifi network at home. What I need to know is if use adhoc at work will I have to constantly modify settings when I go home?

Is there a noticeable print speed decrease in adhoc connection?

Collapse -
Fast answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: bluetooth printing

Windows Wireless Zero Configuration helps to mitigate constantly modifying settings. I'll stop here since to write about WZC means I would duplicate ready web content.

Print speed should be nearly the same as a direct connection. At least it was here.
Bob

Collapse -
connecting wireless hp deskjet f4583 to a wireless xp destop
by jsiyumbu / November 12, 2009 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Which is

I've read that it is possible but hard to connect. How do you do it without a router?

Collapse -
Without a router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2009 1:57 AM PST

In the setup instructions that came with the printers you look for the word ADHOC and that's what you would do. Remember I don't duplicate the manuals.
Bob

Collapse -
wireless connection on hp f4583 minus router
by jsiyumbu / November 12, 2009 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Without a router.

I tried setting up the network but after refreshing the list there's the message "No wireless networks were found in range".
Could you please give me a step by step process, if you don't mind. I'll greatly appreciate.

John Siyumbu

Collapse -
No can do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2009 2:23 AM PST

A step by step would require I own each of the products under discussion. I don't have these in this office but have set them up for years.

But that doesn't mean we can't discuss the other ways such as GUIDES to how this is done.

When we set up the ADHOC method we usually don't see that message. It means you likely are trying to set it up in infrastructure mode. Try again but read about ADHOC setups. Again I stop short because I would be duplicating the web.
Bob

Collapse -
hp f4583
by jsiyumbu / November 12, 2009 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: No can do.

Thanks for the reply. There something am assuming which could be wrong. Can this printer connect realy without a router?

Collapse -
Who has the manual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2009 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: hp f4583
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=aa&product=3944759&lang=en gets me some drivers and a network setup tool that I can't explore (I don't own your printer.)

You are under some one else's discussion so let's keep it short and not have me ask you many many questions such as did you setup your windows machine's ADHOC network? I would not expect this to work without the first step.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00035871&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=305980&rule=8674 is for another printer but unless you can supply me with the manual that's all I got.
Bob
Collapse -
ok, I'll post this only
by jsiyumbu / November 12, 2009 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Who has the manual?

I'll admitt. I dont think I have set it up alright. I'am trying your second link. Will notify you. Thank you in advance

Collapse -
Wireless w/o router
by Phil Crase / November 4, 2009 10:19 PM PST

Bluetooth printer used in conjunction with bluetooth dongle (adapter), get your checkbook out, good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?