Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless not reaching.

by mocheeze / May 21, 2006 8:35 AM PDT

Hey,

My wireless network at home doesn't seem to reach up stairs to my desktop computer (running a USB Linksys WUSB54AG). My router is a Linksys WRT54G. Somebody told me to download the lastest firmware for it. Problem is though, on the site I don't know which version I have to select it. It list alot of defferent versions, and I can't tell which one I have. I get a "very low" connection has stated on the icon of the wireless connectins down in the sytem tray. It's been like this for awhile. I got by, by using my laptop which I get excellent speed, (probably cause im always near the router when using it). Any ideas?

Setup:
Linksys Router: WRT54G
Linksys USB Adapter: WUSB54AG
Router is downstairs, desktop is upstairs.
Get a connection, but is very low. 95% of the time low.
Web pages time out cause it's taking to long to load, cause the connection keeps failing, cause its so low.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless not reaching.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless not reaching.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A number of possible solutions exist.....
by Michael Geist / May 21, 2006 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless not reaching.

I might move the router a bit closer to the desktop and see what effect that has. Or you may wish to invest in those extra long antenna to try and increase the operating range.

Another solution may be found in trading to a Pre-N router or one that offers MiMo technology, some good results have been reported with them.

Your router version should be written on the bottom label.

Collapse -
Firmware will unlikely help your range.
by pratapan / May 21, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

A high gain antenna is your best bet. Since you are using a USB Adapter, try placing it on the floor closer to the AP. And try placing the AP higher on the wall.

Collapse -
also consider
by ramarc / May 22, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

+ changing your wireless channel. this can often cure many weak signals.

+ moving your desktop's adapter. get a longer usb cable if necessary and keep it a few feet away from the pc and put it on the floor (since your router is downstairs).

+ reorienting your router's antennas. you can also replace your router's antennas with higher gain units. search ebay for "linksys antenna".

Collapse -
Thanks. Good info.
by mocheeze / May 22, 2006 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless not reaching.

Yeah I have high gain antennas for the router. I will try to place the USB adapter on the floor. Yeah I'm going to Pre-N as soon as I get the money for it. I was just trying to fix this problem, cause it keeps happening alot lately.

What about a range expander?

Collapse -
your cheapest solution
by pratapan / May 23, 2006 3:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks. Good info.

Get a second router and use it as an AP only.

Turn off the DHCP server. Two DHCP servers on the same net is just trouble. Assign an IP address on the LAN side that is not used. Configure the wireless just like the other router, same name, different channel. Then put this AP in another part of the house closer to your desktop. The AP can be as far as your ethernet will reach or 300ft (max length of ethernet wire).

SKrall

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.