HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless networking problem

by tingyunliu / February 12, 2004 6:56 AM PST

Hi,

I have a D-link DI-624 wireless router working with cable modem. Everything is working fine, except one.

I have 2 wired desktop and 1 notebook (wired and wireless). Computers can see each other when all "wired". But, when the notebook is using wireless mode, it can go to internet, can use VPN, BUT IT CANNOT SEE OR BE SEEN BY THE OTHER TWO COMPUTERS.

Could anyone please help?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless networking problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless networking problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Wireless networking problem
by Michael Geist / February 14, 2004 7:17 AM PST

Check for any firewalls enabled on the unseen unit.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Wireless networking problem
by tingyunliu / February 14, 2004 7:44 AM PST

Thank you very much for the hint. I did uninstall all firewall on the computers. In addition, they cannot see each other (both ways, not one way) when using wireless.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
XP comes with a built in firewall...
by Michael Geist / February 14, 2004 9:51 AM PST

check the properties of your wireless network connection, the Advanced tab.

Collapse -
Re:XP comes with a built in firewall...
by tingyunliu / February 17, 2004 8:31 AM PST

Mike,

Thank you very much for the help. Sorry that I did not mention I am using Win2000. I could not find firewall setup in the wireless network connection. My computer is Dell D400 using Dell TrueMobile 1400.

BTW, do you think this could be a router problem? The network seems fine when wired (all can see each other).

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP comes with a built in firewall...
by Michael Geist / February 17, 2004 9:20 AM PST

Win2K does not have a built in firewall, however if you were using Zone Alarm this could be causing the problem. If you do have ZA, make sure it is uninstalled not just disabled. Other things to check:

1) Try pinging the unseen computer from the others.
2) Make sure all computers are on the same workgroup name.
3) Share a folder or two.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:XP comes with a built in firewall...
by tingyunliu / February 17, 2004 10:20 AM PST

I don't know if I have ZA.

(1) I cannot ping each other when using wireless. Notebook (wireless) can ping itself and the router. The desktop can ping itself and the router. But not the other computer. When all wired (including the notebook), it can ping each other.
(2) The notebook is company computer and uses domain (not workgroup). But still, when wired, the network is fine even they are not the same workgroup.
(3) I'll try later.

I just find out there are differences in control panel -> network -> connection property -> TCP/IP -> Properties -> Advance -> WINS

In the WIRED case, it uses "Use NETBIOS setting from DHCP server"

In the WIRELESS setup, it uses "Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP"

Hope this is the case. I'll try when I get home tonight.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:XP comes with a built in firewall...
by Michael Geist / February 18, 2004 3:55 AM PST

"I don't know if I have ZA."

This is a software firewall program that is often times used. You either install it or not. Look in your Programs files.

"2) The notebook is company computer and uses domain (not workgroup). But still, when wired, the network is fine even they are not the same workgroup."

Here is the likeliest of causes for your wireless non-connectivity problems. In the interest of security your company IT personnel have probably disabled anything that might transmit data over a wireless network. Check with them about this.

I don't see how file and print sharing would work on different workgroups, you might want to elaborate about this.

Collapse -
Re:Wireless networking problem
by radioactive1 / February 20, 2004 3:49 AM PST

You might try the following site to try to resolve your problem. There are a number of tutorials as well as some excellent troubleshooting expertise and forums. I've found it very useful in diagnosing some of the problems I had.

www.homenethelp.com

Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.