General discussion

Wireless networking Mac, PC and Wintel laptop

I want to create a wireless network to be able to run an iMac, Wintel desktop, and laptop. Ideally, as well as web access from all three (through a Comcast cable modem) I'd like to be able to share printers (a business inkjet 2200 and an hp photosmart 7960) and read files across platforms. Two questions:

1. I'm looking at a Linksys router - any thoughts on specific capabilities I should make sure I have?

2. What is the best way to be able to view and read PC files from the iMac and vice versa across the LAN?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Wireless networking Mac, PC and Wintel laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless networking Mac, PC and Wintel laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sharing

The Linksys Router will do nicely for you. Basically, all routers are similar. They will all act as a switch for the local network(LAN) and as a Gateway for the Internet.(WAN)
On the PC, you can either create a shared folder or share an existing folder. Give yourself admin rights (read/write/delete) to the folder. On the Mac, go to Network and you should see the PC. Double click and you should be asked for a user name and password. Use the same name as you normally do on the PC and the same password. In theory, if you got everything correct, the shared folder should appear on the desktop of the Mac and be treated just like any other folder.
Good luck

Hope this helps

P

- Collapse -
Printers

I forgot to mention this. You may have a problem sharing the printers on this network. Sharing the printer on the PC, and having the correct Mac drivers installed on the Mac, does not always guarantee that you will be able to print. A printer with Ethernet is the surest way to go but not always practical. You would be advised to read anything that HP has about sharing these printers with a Mac.

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info