Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless networking in IBMThinkpad T42

by vasanthan / May 29, 2005 6:49 PM PDT

I have recently got a Thinkpad T42 came with the built-in wireless networking card ''Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter''.

Couple of things, I have noticed that the coverage of this card is very poor and it's a 11b and NOT a 11g. That means I am only limited to 11Mbs. If I buy a 11g PCMCI card and install the driver, will that cause and conflicts or problems?

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless networking in IBMThinkpad T42
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless networking in IBMThinkpad T42
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Only if you fail to disable the internal adapter first.
by Michael Geist / May 29, 2005 8:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
Just disable your present pci wifi
by smileydub / May 30, 2005 7:21 AM PDT

My Thinkpad T23 had a wifi pci card also with 11b, so whenever I used a 11g pc card, I just disable the b (goto Control Panel, Network and Dialup Connections), right click on the wifi and select Disable. Of course, you have to install the pcmcia card with its supplied software.

However, last week I purchased the Intel a/b/g 2915ABG card from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833106219

and replaced the original 11b card, and the range is better, but my intent was to get the WPA encryption feature which is not available in the 11b card. So, by replacing the pci mini card, I obviate the protrusion of the pc card, which can be cumbersome.

Collapse -
More than one network source...
by cgarrity / June 1, 2005 12:57 AM PDT

I too have an IBM laptop with a Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter. I also have a 54Mbps PC card which I occasionally install and sometimes I plug in my direct ethernet cord. Very occasionally, I have all 3 networks sources running and they appear to all contribute when I'm accessing the internet or transfering files from one computer to another.

My question is "Is there a pecking order when I have more than one network input source available?" A reply in this thread said it was necessary to deactivate the 3B Mini PCI Adapter when using a PC card.

I'm considering replacing the 3B Mini with a IBM Thinkpad 2200GB 802.11B/G Mini-PCI Card since I don't like the PC card sticking out of the laptop.

Collapse -
To see your pecking order open a command window and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2005 1:02 AM PDT

Type...

ROUTE PRINT

That works for Windows NT/2000/XP and maybe other OSes. I am not offering a course in TCPIP, but this is where that pecking order would be found.

Bob

Collapse -
Intel a/b/g pci mini works well on my Thinkpad T23
by smileydub / June 4, 2005 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Big problems
by kdelyria / June 16, 2005 1:28 PM PDT

I tried to change mine and the IBM BIOS stops you at boot up say you have an illegal miniPCI card

Collapse -
miniPCI vs. PCMCIA/PC-Card
by Dick White / June 16, 2005 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Big problems

These are two different beasts. The miniPCI card is an internal card for which you must take the laptop apart and snap the card into a special hidden connector. The PC-Card adapter is a standard slide-in card the pops in and out of the slot on the side of the laptop.

In my experience, changing the internal miniPCI card is a crapshoot. Some laptop manufacturers have funky pin assignments or other proprietary implementations of the device, as you just discovered. Sometimes you can find one that works (or can be made to work) in your laptop, but that takes some research before you buy.

The external PC-Card adapters, though, are a different story. They work well in just about any laptop. You are well advised to check the manufacturer's support page to obtain any updates to firmware and drivers (even on brand new ones) but otherwise they generally do exactly what you expect. The only trick is to remember to turn off the original internal device - the operating system doesn't respond well to two wireless adapters trying to get its attention...

dw

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?