Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Wireless Network with External HD, TV and PC

by NickyCaps / July 18, 2013 6:23 AM PDT

Hello all!

I'm moving into a new home and looking to set up a network from scratch. I have tried doing lots of research but so much new technology has come out since I last upgraded my hardware it's difficult to know how to go about this.

I would like to establish a wireless home network where I can access files from a hard drive from both my PC and my TV. Buying a hard drive and hooking it up to a router for PC access is easy. The more difficult part is playing/streaming media from my hard drive wirelessly from my TV. TVs don't have the capability of playing video files directly from a hard drive which is where I'm stuck. I should also mention I'm not trying to use my computer to play files on the TV because I don't want to have my PC running all the time. I've looked into drives like the WD My Book Live and the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex but I'm not really sure what the best way to go about this would be. I need to buy a new TV, router and hard drive. I'd rather get it right the first time around. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Run away (Monty Python)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 6:50 AM PDT

Or just "Run!" (Doctor Who)

While we can get all this connected the next brick wall is that Smart TVs or a (smart?) BluRay player only supports a short list of "encoding" for the media. This seems to upset folk that often reply "it plays on my PC" when it fails on the new Smart HDTV (or bluray or other thing.)

As it stands I like the Apple TV and it seems more capable than most things and will connect to your network. As to the network drive I have a simple 500GB USB HDD on my WNDR3800. I know it supports larger but 500GB is more than enough and as you know, network transfer speeds are a fraction of your local drives.

So I like the Apple TV, ignore the usual Smart HDTV devices since they are rather bad at decoding.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Monty Python
by NickyCaps / July 18, 2013 7:02 AM PDT

So you're saying if I connect an Apple TV to my TV, that it can play movies on my TV that are stored on a hard drive connected to my router?

Collapse -
Maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Monty Python

There are many reasons for this to fail. Encoding is the area that seems to be the biggest reason for this to fail.

I don't want to upset folk but you have to be careful about that and can't through anything at it and it play as your PC is far more capable.

" we use an AppleTv2, with no streaming problems or loading delays " is notable at:
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-wndr3800-n600-wireless/4505-3319_7-34467812.html

I think mine was around the 100 mark at amazon.com (same price as the Apple TV?)
Bob

PS. Forget to mention Handbrake. No, I only mentioned it. Yes, that's it. Yes, I'm just mentioning the name.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!