Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Wireless Network setup for video

by E2 / January 1, 2005 9:39 AM PST

I'm starting from scratch and want to create a wireless network in my home. Would prefer a laptop, but open to Mac or PC. I hear pros and cons, but my main concern is to be able to download and create video, then play it on a High Def TV or projector wirelessly.

Questions:
1. Is Mac or PC platform/OS better for playing HD video, not necessarily concerned about the video on the monitor itself, more about projecting it?
2. What are the processor and RAM needs for playing HD video?
3. Is there hardware that can receive the wireless signal and communicate with my TV (create an S-video output from a bridge or something)? I've heard that Series3 TiVo will have it. Also have heard that XBox can be modified to do it.

What other considerations should I be thinking about.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Network setup for video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Network setup for video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 1:08 AM PST

Questions:
1. Is Mac or PC platform/OS better for playing HD video, not necessarily concerned about the video on the monitor itself, more about projecting it?

Yes. SUN computers for instance may take more support and even development to do such feats.

2. What are the processor and RAM needs for playing HD video?

Not much. HD DVD Players are on the market today and have such in the microprocessor and support chips. Not widely published, but usually a mid-range ARM CPU at about 100 to 200MHz and a support decoder/encoder chip. RAM is usually in the few megabyte size.

3. Is there hardware that can receive the wireless signal and communicate with my TV (create an S-video output from a bridge or something)? I've heard that Series3 TiVo will have it. Also have heard that XBox can be modified to do it.

This is far too vague to comment about. For this, visit retail shops and try to get to a CES (show) to see if what you want is being offered.

"What other considerations should I be thinking about."

No mind reading today. My thought here is you need to see what is being offered and test it out.

Backup Bob

Collapse -
Thank you Bob
by E2 / January 2, 2005 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: ?

I know there are a lot of elements to "what computer should I buy?" and I'm trying not to be that novice. I can determine what size processor, HD and RAM I need for my what I typically do. Where I'm running into a wall is in learning about what I need to wirelessly stream HD video into a TV or projector.

I've tried the retail shop option. No one seems to have a solution. Apple's Airport won't do video. TiVo won't go wireless yet, and even if it did, it's not HD yet.

I gather from your response that there are limited processor and memory needs for playing DVD from media. Is it the same from a harddrive? Running the video straight from a notebook into the projector may be what I'm left with.

Am I reading this situation correctly?

Thanks for your insight.

Collapse -
Not today. Here's why...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Bob

Let me take "Running the video straight from a notebook into the projector may be what I'm left with." and pick that as what you wanted to go wireless with.

TODAY, no laptop I see has HDTV output. Matrox makes some desktop HDTV or component video cards, but missing is a laptop solution. HOWEVER I do have a "PC in a box" that I take to shows that allows such customizing. It would be a no-brainer to get a Matrox HDTV/Component card into that box. It's in one of those diamond black shipping boxes you see at shows and built for transport.

With that out of the way, one needs to transport HDTV/Component video wirelessly. To accomplish this you will move out of the consumer/mainstream to companies noted at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1429995,00.asp

There you go. Now all you need is a HDTV projector to finish it off. http://reviews.cnet.com/Projectors/4502-3180_7-0.html lists a few with HDTV inputs.

Sorry, not a laptop in the brew and highly doubtful an Apple was used for the system. You could try calling Apple in Cupertino to see if they know.

Bob

Collapse -
What about this option?
by E2 / January 14, 2005 1:25 AM PST

Bob -

In digging, I've found two options I think might work:
1. Run HD video output from a Powerbook G4 into a projector via a DVI or 15 pin video monitor cable.

2. Run HD video output from a laptop wired to a wireless router, to a wirelss bridge, into a modified Xbox (home media center) and into a projector.

Feasible?

E2

Collapse -
1 is the norm, 2 is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2005 1:48 AM PST

I'd like to see that setup. Sorry, but it doesn't seem plausible to me.

Bob

Collapse -
seems odd I agree, but...
by E2 / January 14, 2005 2:09 AM PST

is it Grey market?

Scenario 1: So I could do laptop straight into the projector, and get HD quality output?

Scenario 2 includes a modified Xbox, which is the glue. Data goes harddrive to the wireless router, to the bridge, to the Xbox and into the projector. The Xbox is modified, as available on-line with a simple google lookup.

Interestingly enough, the Xbox can serve as a DVD player, with progressive scan capability.

Am I treading out of bounds?

Collapse -
1 is a slam dunk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2005 2:22 AM PST

Item 2 is something I've never heard of. While I know the xbox has such output, who makes this system work as you described it?

Or put another way, where's the software to make this work?

Bob

Collapse -
not sure, but I'll describe
by E2 / January 14, 2005 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: 1 is a slam dunk.

The interface is controlled through the Xbox remote, and allows you to navigate the harddrive as you would on the computer itself. The "home page" comes up as "Home Media Center", so I'm betting that the software is part of the Xbox modification.

Here's a modification tutorial I found with a quick google search. Don't know if it's the same, but seems to get a similar place. Clearly I can't vouch for any of it.

http://www.subdiv.net/articles/XBox/xbox.htm

This may be what I've seen in action.

Collapse -
E2. Where can one put this together?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2005 3:12 AM PST

Frankly this looks like more trouble than its worth.

You first.

Bob

Collapse -
my thoughts exactly
by E2 / January 14, 2005 3:30 AM PST

I don't own a soldering gun, nor would I know where to look to change some of the code.

I'm just looking for a way to not have to park a computer right next to a projector if I want to view video stored on a hard drive.

It'll do it, and if someone can band-aid an Xbox to do it reliably, why can't a OEM create a media center that'll do it too?

Collapse -
At the 2005 CES such were debuted
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2005 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: my thoughts exactly

I see someone posted just one.

BEWARE that such are very new. Which makes me refer back to my first post with the non-consumer solution.

Bob

Collapse -
This is the best you'll find right now...
by mtroute / January 14, 2005 3:00 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?