HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wireless Network Setup

by ACWN / May 16, 2010 3:27 AM PDT

We just reformatted my old XP computer, a Gateway - thats not even OWNED by Gateway any more, and my warrenty is beyond gone, its about 5 years old. I cant even call them and do the pay for technical support (not that we could afford it) because they sold this branch of computers off to some company that went bankrupt 2 years ago.

The problem we're having is that we need to get the computer online to reinstall all the components (graphics card, etc etc), but we cant get it to set up wirelessly. Wiring it directly to the router does not bring up an internet connection either.

I have tried every option to set up an network connection, save for dial up since we dont have it, and its all been one big epic failure.

The little icon for a wired connection isnt there. The icon and window for a wireless connection isnt there.

We've got a computer thats been totally wiped clean, we're standing at square one in the dark with out a map or flashlight.

Can any one help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Network Setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Network Setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At this point
by Jimmy Greystone / May 16, 2010 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Network Setup

At this point, I'm thinking you're probably screwed. Assuming you could track down an inventory of the hardware, finding the drivers online would probably be difficult at best if the company that bought the support rights has gone under.

Best thing I can suggest right now, is combing sites like ebay and craigslist, looking for restore media for that system. You may get lucky and find someone willing to sell you theirs or make a copy for you.

Otherwise, you can try putting Linux on it to see if you can at least salvage the system at all. It may not be your desired solution, but seems to me that a system running Linux which can do at least some of the things you probably want, is a whole lot better than what you have now.

Collapse -
If you can't identify the parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Network Setup

And don't do driver hunts then UBUNTU is not a bad idea. It usually finds and works on 5 year machines without too much trouble. And the price is right.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, well....
by ACWN / May 16, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

The price might be right, but we're dead broke which is why we're even bothering with the stupid computer.

Any way, I think you guys misunderstood me, BIG time. I know how to get the graphics card and what not working, I just need to get online to be able to do it. The device driver shows them, but they need to be reinstalled - which I cant do without being connected to the internet.

Collapse -
Quite the opposite
by Jimmy Greystone / May 16, 2010 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, well....

Quite the opposite I think. I think you misunderstood US "big time". Linux is free provided you have a system with a DVD burner. So, it's the perfect dead broke solution.

But the point is, without knowing what hardware is in the system it will be difficult at best to find the proper drivers for it. And with the support company having gone under, that would mean having to try and track down the drivers from the individual component makers, who may or may not offer them for download. Sometimes they have contracts with OEMs that specifically state they cannot distribute drivers on their own. In which case, if it was a critical driver, you'd reach the end of the line.

Collapse -
The support company wasnt a support company
by ACWN / May 16, 2010 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Quite the opposite

The company that Gateway sold my computer to was never of any help to me, ever. When I contacted them with a problem, the only thing they could tell me to do was reinstall the OS. It turned out that IS what I had to do, but Gateway techs would have said "Well, you probably need to do this, but lets try this and this first and see if that doesnt fix it".

Any way. I dont know if my original point was missed or not (being that I needed an internet connection to be able to reinstall the components in the device manager), but at this point it doesnt matter. We got the computer to read a wireless card adapter and got online. I was able to install most of the components that the computer needed to reinstall. Thankfully the ones that did were the ones that were needed - graphics, audio and the built in wireless.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.