Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Wireless network disconnects after about 5 minutes

by RsChief / November 5, 2004 8:21 AM PST

I am using Verizon Mobile office on my Gateway PC running XP pro. The phone is connected thru an USB cable and is connected to com port 4. It will connect to the Verizon network ok but will disconnect in 5 to 9 minutes. This work great for about 6 months, then the next day it started to act this way.

I have the same setup running on my Gateway PC XP home. The phone will stay connected until I disconnect it. Any suggestions what to check on the com port or setting will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless network disconnects after about 5 minutes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless network disconnects after about 5 minutes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Wireless network disconnects after about 5 minutes
by mrmaxson / November 6, 2004 5:26 AM PST

On your internet explorer, go to your (Tools) tab then down to (Internet options), then to (Connections) tab. There is a property button marked advanced. If it is not there then the connection you are useing and the software it installed has fixed your connection time to disconnect after so much time after last key punched.

This tab was what AOL/internet companies used to disconnect the idle user from the network to free up server time for other users. The Verison software was probably the thing that dropped this little fix on you. So check there and you may find your answer to the problem. Chris

Collapse -
Win98 IE disconnects from network after about 8 minutes
by joebudelis / January 24, 2005 12:00 PM PST

I have a similar problem. WIN98 laptop using USB WLAN worked fine until couple weeks ago. Now connects to internet but after about 8 minutes, IE loses connection. Same with FireFox and with Office update.

I've followed many suggestions still with no luck. Restored WIN98. Am regularly running Ad-Aware, Spybot and SpySubtract. Have removed network connections that do not seem to be needed. Have applied all applicable Windows Updates.

Have removed timeouts for all remaining network connections.

When disconnect occurs, desktop that is on an ethernet connection to the same router stays connected to the internet so DSL line is not the problem.

Also, from the laptop I can still successfully ping sites, e.g., google.com And, my daughter, who uses AIM, says that it works continuously.

I am not able to ping the desktop successfully although I believe I have settings correct to do so.

If I do a Find Computer from the laptop, I do see the desktop and can access shared files.

In Network Neighborhood, if I double click on the "Entire Network" icon, I get a "Network Neighborhood" error window that says "Unable to browse the network.
The network is not accessible. For more information, look in the Help Index at the topic 'Network Troubleshooter'." I didn't find anything useful there.

Collapse -
similar problem with non-secure sites
by travelbook / January 28, 2005 5:30 AM PST

have posted this in Win 95/98 with no solutions yet:

Here's the problem: I can access secure (https) sites and e-mail servers. But I can access non-secured sites only for about five minutes after bootup, then I get timed-out error messages.

What I did: I installed and connected a Belkin wireless card in my computer running Win98SE. The device didn't work, so I uninstalled the software, and went back to my wired Ethernet connection.

That's when the problem started. I can access my bank accounts and such, but non-secure connections just don't work after about five minutes. For example, I couldn't just post this . . . the operation timed out. I had to save the message as text, re-boot, and paste it back in and post before the operation timed out again. Phew.

I assume there's some setting that was not restored when I uninstalled the Belkin thing, but I just can't find it.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
problem with non-secure sites - Same problem
by joebudelis / January 29, 2005 4:05 AM PST

Hey - It turns out that I have the same problem. I hadn't realized it was only unsecured sites that we could not reach. I typed Fidelity.com and it timed out as expected. Then I typed https://fidelity.com and the page loaded! So it looks like our problem may be exactly the same as yours.

Just to give you other items that you might try to confirm this. My daughter uses AOL, AIM and FirstClass. All of these programs can reach the web.

So now all we need is the answer as to why this is happening and how to correct it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?