Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wireless Network connection problem

by Odin6 / March 30, 2004 3:41 AM PST

Wireless router (BT Voyager 2000) on Broadband line.
Two computers; Laptop works trouble free from anywhere in or near to the building.
Desktop computer, situated a few inches away from the router, on start up shows the message:
There has been a network error. The update document is not available.
It is also necessary to tell the computer to connect to the network. Once connected then, all is well, signal is 100% and everything appears to be fine. There are no other networks running nearby.

Can anyone suggest what is amiss?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Network connection problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Network connection problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Wireless Network connection problem
by GritPicker / March 30, 2004 11:38 AM PST

I have not seen this specific message before, however, I have had several flaky problems using a USB/RF interface adapter. A PCI/RF adapter works much better. If you are only a few inches away from your router, can you connect directly to it via copper?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Wireless Network connection problem
by Odin6 / March 30, 2004 4:53 PM PST

No, the desktop computer doesn't have a network card, nor is there one in the laptop. When setting up a wireless network the operating system warns one against the configuration that this wireless router forces upon the user. It is the modem/router which is connected to the Broadband line and each user must access the Internet and other computers on the network through the offices of the router.

Collapse -
Re:Wireless Network connection problem
by stu-eyris / March 30, 2004 6:27 PM PST

have you tried putting the laptops setings into your desktop?

and mabe try moving your router away from ur pc

some routers have the ability to have wired conections, you could by a lan card and a cable if your router has port on it

Collapse -
Re:Re:Wireless Network connection problem
by Odin6 / March 31, 2004 3:43 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestions folks but thus far I don't think we are getting near to a solution. Don't forget that the network is perfect once I start the Desktop Computer network association by hand. So far as I can tell both computers have been set up in the same way. It might give a clue if someone could offer information about this always missing NETWORK UPDATE DOCUMENT which apparently spoils the automatic sign on.
As regards going to the expense of an unnecessary network card, I don't plan to spend any more money on what is really just a facility for the laptop to use the office printers from anywhere around the property. The reason I am bothered about getting an auto start is that without it, I must be here personally on the premises to start the office computer up and that is sometimes a problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Wireless Network connection problem
by Merl Priester / March 31, 2004 2:45 PM PST

You have not stated if you have to login to the Internet of if it supposed to be a no password required setup.

I just recently replaced a Micorsoft Router that was very sporatic with a Linksys one that is working flawlessly.

This "document" and needing to manually start sounds very strange. You haven't stated Operating systems you are using or anything about the hardware, except the router.

Is this a cable modem/router combo?
Note that a LAN card and cable is way cheaper and much more reliable than a WAN adapter. If the hardware is new, return it.

Spend $20 and see if the problem goes away with a hard wired connection.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Wireless Network connection problem
by Odin6 / April 2, 2004 6:37 AM PST

The operating system is XP professional, the Desktop is an AT type home made computer using INTEL Celeron 1.4MHz with 639MB of RAM.
The modem/router is always connected to the Internet Service Provider. When this is setup then, one's user password details have to be provided, thereafter a steady ultra reliable broadband line is always on tap.

The modem/router does indeed have an LAN hard wire socket. The 'ABOUT' information shows: 802.11b Wireless LAN. The setting is for Infrastructure.

The desktop connection is via a USB receiver transmitter and once it is told to connect it works perfectly. I have read all kinds of material and, as yet can't find any reference to this missing UPDATE DOCUMENT?
Nothing else using wireless frequencies is in use. I replaced the cordless mouse and keyboard with MS hard wired ones when the system wouldn't sign on itself but this made no difference.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?