Camcorders forum

General discussion

Wireless Mics For My Camera - What Do I All Need?

by gravtex / September 18, 2008 1:52 PM PDT

I'm looking to get some wireless mics for my video camera, a Panasonic PV-GS65.

The thing is I just don't know what I all need to make this stuff work with the camera.

Here's what I'm currently considering. Three Sennheiser ew112g2 wireless lavalieres. If I order those, what else do I need to plug the audio into the camera. I was told to get a small mixer - I'm not looking to spend a fortune on one, what would be a reasonable choice? What kind of adapters am I going to require to make this plugin to my camera? Also, do I need to make sure to get different channels for each wireless mics or does that not matter?

Thanks so much for the help. I just have no idea what I'm doing with regard to audio - all I know is that I'd like the audio quality on my videos to be dramatically better.

Gary

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Mics For My Camera - What Do I All Need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Mics For My Camera - What Do I All Need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sennheiser makes
by boya84 / September 18, 2008 11:16 PM PDT

great mics - so those are a good choice.

Good that this camcorder has a 1/8" (3.5mm) mic stereo jack.

According to http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=G2-2 the base station connects to "the next step" using XLR connectors. You actually have two ways to go - though they are similar and depend on your future requirements.

A little bit of growth and camera mount-able:
In order to get the XLR connectors to fit the 1/8" jack, you will need an XLR adapter. juicedLink makes three different 4-channel field mixer/XLR adapters. I have one of their 2-channel adapters, and the preamps are awesome.
http://juicedlink.com/index_files/CX_camcorder_XLR_microphone_adapter_audio_mixers.htm

If you need to grow more, then a big mixer might be in order... I like Mackie gear. You can then connect the mixer to the camcorder either with a XLR/1/8" adapter cable (that is a lot of weight on the 1/8" jack, so be careful) - or through a field mixer using XLR-XLR.

I read through the GS65's manual pretty quickly - what I did not see is the camcorder's manual audio control. When a camcorder is under manual control there are typically some meters you can watch to make sure your audio level is where it needs to be. Without manual audio control, there will be no meters - this means you need some way to see what the audio levels are so you don't over saturate the audio - the juicedLink CX-471 gives you that visual feedback.

Since you did not tell us what you are capturing to video, I can't say if these particular Sennheisers are what you really need - but they are good mics... for recording people speaking.

Collapse -
One thing I neglected to mention
by boya84 / September 19, 2008 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sennheiser makes

The big wireless base stations like these Sennheisers use need AC power - so that will limit your camcorder's portability.

There are a few ways around this if you need only two wireless devices - there are battery powered base stations that can mount to the camcorder - but for three mics, that is a challenge. You *could* record the audio to a field recorder (like those from M-Audio, Marantz, Sony, Zoom, Fostex and others) and sync the audio with the audio on the video in post production... That way the camcorder can be more easily moved if needed because it is not tethered to the audio capture devices.

Collapse -
thank you
by gravtex / September 19, 2008 2:18 AM PDT

Thank you for all you're help - I really appreciate it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.