TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

wireless Macbook transmission to Panasonic TV

I've been told that I can send movies from my Apple Macbook to my Panasonic Viera TV wirelessly but have not been able to learn how to do it.

Both are connected to my wifi and are wirelessly accessing the internet.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless Macbook transmission to Panasonic TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless Macbook transmission to Panasonic TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Usually with an Apple TV.

In reply to: wireless Macbook transmission to Panasonic TV

The other way is WiDi but you have to see if you have that feature.

WiFi is possible for DLNA, but for that you need something like Servio or Twonky. Apple TV is really the cure here.
Bob

Collapse -
Apple TV

In reply to: Usually with an Apple TV.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Apple told me that Apple tv only worked through I tunes, therefore wouldnt be useful to display DVD's and other websites.

J

Collapse -
Other options

In reply to: Apple TV

If you wanted to be able to see *everything* on your Panasonic HDTV that you enjoy on your Macbook, then you should use a mini-DVI to HDMI cable/adapter. This would let you surf the web on your TV, essentially. Add a small wireless remote control (~$25-35), and you can run the whole shebang from the couch Wink.

To send along non-iTunes audio content wirelessly would be to utilize Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil software for OS X.

There's also screen mirroring with newer macs & apple tv. See here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404

Collapse -
Let's review your "spec"

In reply to: Apple TV

send movies from my Apple Macbook to my Panasonic Viera TV wirelessly

You didn't reveal what format these movies were in but if they were the usual "movie.avi" or "file" then a DLNA server or Apple TV is a way to do that.

Once in a while you find someone that hates iTunes.

--> DVD. Sorry, but it's much easier to put that into the DVD/BD player near the TV. Yes we can fix that up but why another Rube Goldberg?
Bob

Collapse -
Computer to tv

In reply to: Let's review your "spec"

I'm temporarily living in South America and like to watch US tv (news, movies, movies, etc) through various websites and also download movies from Amazon.

We've got a couple of big puppies in the house so I'd love to find a way to watch this entertainment on the Panasonic Viera TV without wires.

I have both a pc and a Macbook.

Collapse -
(NT) And you have some ways to do this now.

In reply to: Computer to tv

Collapse -
Or.....

In reply to: Computer to tv

My Panasonic seems to have a good connection to my wifi and to the limited number of websites that Panasonic has built in.
Is there a device that I could add to the Panasonic that would enable it to access the other websites that I watch?

Collapse -
Sure. Nod to laptops and Apple TV.

In reply to: Or.....

The browser in such TVs is limited. Since those limitations are heavily and widely discussed the cure is to use another box or laptop.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.