Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless latency

by Quarterpower / September 16, 2011 9:24 PM PDT

Hello guys please help me out here,
I live in UK and my house owner have BT internet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless latency
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless latency
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also I forgot to mention that afte
by Quarterpower / September 16, 2011 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless latency

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I turn off my torrent I have 2 packet loss and my latency is 200-400ms, and after:
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I turn on my torrent I have 2 packet loss and my latency is 20-30ms (sometimes it jums to 100-200ms like 1 of 10 times)

Collapse -
Sorry.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 16, 2011 9:36 PM PDT

I see 'torrents' all over the place in your post. That is not good.

These fourm's Forum Policy forbid discussion about certain things and in general terms this includes piracy. Since torrents are more often than not used for downloading copyrighted commercial movies and music, we do not discuss that.

But since your question is about latency I can say the following;

When your own system is not connected to a torrent, it does not surprise me that your internet speeds drop. Those other systems connected to torrents use the majority of the bandwidth and your system has no control about that.

But when 'your system' is connected to a torrent, the bandwidth is then shared between the other torrent using systems.Their bandwidth drops and yours increases. But then, your own OS can control, (to a certain extent), how it uses its own share of the bandwidth, and so that is why you may see an increase in internet usage.

The solution? Well, I think you know this. Certainly not changing router settings. That is for the house owner to consider and I suspect he would not be too pleased if you did that without his permission. In any case, I doubt the router can be utilised in this way.

The solution is to all stop using torrents.

Mark

Collapse -
I am sorry about Forum Policy
by Quarterpower / September 16, 2011 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Thanks you very much, and sorry about that bad word in this forum (:

Collapse -
There is only a few known cures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 3:36 AM PDT

1. Ban P2P on your internet connection.
2. Get wired.

Item 2 seems to create the most push back. But a wired connection wins the race almost everytime.
Bob

Collapse -
wired
by Quarterpower / September 17, 2011 8:53 PM PDT

Hello Proffit,

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2011 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: wired

Get ethernet cables from the store that are long enough from the router to the machines and plug them in, turn off the wifi and 99.99% of the time the machine will get to the internet.

For even more payoff from this, open the control to the router and disable the wifi radio if you don't use it.
Bob

Collapse -
Ethernet cable witch one ?
by Quarterpower / September 18, 2011 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

Hello Proffit,

Can you please help me to choose witch one is better ethernet cable from ebay -

Collapse -
Ethernet cables
by bill012 / September 18, 2011 10:53 PM PDT

Buy whichever you like the best. Most difference are related to the look and feel of the cable and the ends. Although some cables claim they are "faster" if the meet the minimum specs to run 1G (which all cat 5e and cat 6 do) what does it matter. It is the end equipment that sets the speed. If you only have 100 meg ports even these cables will not make it run faster just at 100meg. Its just that the old cat5 (no e) which was designed for 100 meg does not cost any less. So just find anything that is long enough and is at least cat5e.

There are specialized ethernet cable but they are mostly for fire and water resistance.

Not sure I would go to the trouble of ebay unless you live out in nowhere. I have seen them even sold in the grocery but any electronics store will have a large selection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?