Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless lan disconnects and bluetooth interaction?

by avmad / March 20, 2006 5:37 AM PST

Hello again,

System
------

- Dell X300 laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 (all patches).
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG mini internal wireless card fitted.
- DELL TrueMobile internal BlueTooth module fitted.
- DELL BlueTooth stack installed
- Belkin FSD8230-4 Pre-N wireless router

Problem
-------

There are really two problems. I do not think they are specifically related...
1) My x300 has started having frequent (every minute or two) connection issues, since I rebuilt it from scratch (new hard drive). If I right click the network connection icon in the task tray and select repair, I get the connection back with an "excellent" signal strength and fast speed indicated.

Note: Other laptops in my house do not get disconnected at the same time. i.e. my laptop can be down and my wife's is still up just fine. This would seem to indicate a client issue also.

2) When the connection is lost On this x300 laptop - (just rebuilt from scratch), the "Connect BluetoothConnection" dialog apears, presumably because the machine thinks that this would be the connection to use if the wireless is not working. I have to constantly dismiss this dialog.

Note: This "Connect BluetoothConnection" dialog also appears (only occasionally though) when this laptop is connected to a wired 100Mb connection.

Comments
--------

To test further, after the latest batch of disconnects on my laptop, I placed another X300 in exactly the same place on the countertop and connected to a steaming audio site so I could easily see if the connection stayed up. It did - all day. Note however that this second x300 has the Intel PRO/Wireles LAN 2100A adapter in it, which is only 802.11b.

For problem (1), perhaps the bluetooth connection in problem (2) is actually causing the wireless to get disconnected?

For problem (2), I assume there is a way to configure the bluetooth connection not to pop up.

Can anyone provide any assistance here?

Thx

avmad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless lan disconnects and bluetooth interaction?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless lan disconnects and bluetooth interaction?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could bluetooth connection cause the issue here?
by avmad / March 20, 2006 12:44 PM PST

Suggestion...

Could it be that the BluetoothConnection dialog is actually the catalyst for the wireless network loosing its connection? I've noticed that while ever the BluetoothConnection dialog is up on the screen, the wireless lan will not reconnect.

Ideas?

avmad

Collapse -
No responses... So how might I reset everything?
by avmad / March 22, 2006 1:55 AM PST

Hello all again,

I guess I stumped everyone with my issues here as I had no responses.

So next question would be, how to remove the whole Dell BT stack and rewind any config to get to the point that wireless had no issues...

avmad

Collapse -
Connect BluetoothConnection dialog still comes up...
by avmad / March 22, 2006 5:26 AM PST

Ok, so I uninstalled (through contol panel) the Dell Bluetooth software this morning. However, for no apparent reason, The "Connect BluetoothConnection" dialog just popped up.

BTW - I'm connected through ethernet, not wireless right now.

I cannot see why this dialog would continue to come up.

Any ideas please?

avmad

Collapse -
How to fix the Connect BluetoothConnection dialog
by someguyoranother / May 4, 2007 10:22 PM PDT

It's a pain, Windows fails to find the site the normal way and thinks it's got access to another network connection it can try.

In Internet Explorer, go Tools>Internet Options>Connections.

You can select "Never dial a connection", that should do the job.

If you're certain you don't want it, you can even remove your "BluetoothConnection" from the list. Hope this works for you.

-John.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?