General discussion

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse with range of 15 feet.

I'm looking for recommendations for a wireless keyboard and mouse with good quality and range. I only need basic features, but I need something reliable that will work 15 feet away from the CPU. RF is preferred, Bluetooth is second choice because the CPU does not have Bluetooth built-in. CPU is Windows-based (XP or Vista). Keyboard and mouse don't have to be the same manufacturer. If you have any recommendations or advice, I would appreciate it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse with range of 15 feet.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse with range of 15 feet.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Bluetooth is not an option.

Almost all BT keyboards are 10 foot (low power) bluetooth. Maybe a simple USB extension cable with the BT dongle is the fix?

Same issue with RF combos. All will note ... 10 foot.

Bob

- Collapse -
10 foot max

Thanks for the reply. In all my product searches and reviews, there are never any specs on distance. Maybe 10 feet is the generally accepted max for these products. My CPU is in a closet and the monitor is my flat-screen TV. I want to be able to sit on the couch and use the PC. 10-ft might work but I was going for 15 to be safe. If you have any product recommendations for reliable 10-ft products, pass them along. Now I am using a basic optical wireless mouse that gets intermittent results. The USB cable extension is a possibility but an aesthetic challenge in my current setup.

- Collapse -
Sorry, I have none.

I'd rather err on the side of caution since low power bluetooth is all of 10 feet under the best of conditions so I see no reason to push the envelope. I can find 10 foot usb extension cables however to put the bluetooth dongle within a reasonable 5 foot mark and then any bluetooth combo would be acceptable.

Bob

- Collapse -
Get a Logitech RF keyboard/mouse

Hello!

I have the Logitech MX 3100 keyboard/mouse combo, that one..
http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=213&page=1

Have had it for about 2 years and been very happy with it, Tested the range of it a moment ago.
I Have small apartment so couldn't get very far away from the receiver. but the furthest i got was in my bathroom Happy 8 meters(over 25 feet) away, and both mouse and keyboard works fine in there, even with door closed. Pretty good I think..
Before this one I also had Logitech RF combo, think i bought back in 2000. It also had quite good range, at least 5 meters from what I can remember. So buy a Logitech they are not the cheapest but they are good..

Greetings from Finland..

- Collapse -
Logitech MX 3100

jeerikss,
Thanks for your help. I will check it out.

- Collapse -
MX 3100

I have the same and it works through walls at least 15 ft.

- Collapse -
I own the Logitech LX710...
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Desktop-710-Laser/dp/B000HCUTU2

It might get more than 10 feet but since I have a wifi router in the same room the distance is now under 5 feet. This is the SAME RF parts as the above unit and why I'm going to strongly suggest you check what your refund policy is before purchase.

Also the distance dropped in month 2 because the batteries do lose their initial zing.

-> I've been blunt about this since I own many of the common solutions.

Bob
- Collapse -

Don't think these two uses same RF parts. My keyboard/mouse is on 27MHz and if your router is causing interference, yours is probably on 2.4GHZ.

- Collapse -
liies

lies.................
I have the performance MX
and the K350n keyboard
it drops signal from 6 to 12 feet..

- Collapse -
Ehh.

I get more feet in other rooms and to write this many years later I think I want to add this.

-> I still have this product and it's held up well compared to some other makes. I'd buy it again.
Bob

- Collapse -
Gyration makes one

Gyration makes a mouse/kb combo that works well at 15+ ft. KB is just so-so. Mouse is pretty cool. It is motion sensitive so you can hold it in your hand like a remote control, but it works like a regular mouse too.

- Collapse -
Microsoft Wireless

I have been using long-range peripherals with my computer for 7 years. After I had to retire my 3 Intel Wireless Series peripherals, I had a hard time finding anything that could measure up to that range. I now use the Microsoft

- Collapse -
Cordless Mouse

I use the Logitech MediaPlay Cordless Mouse with my laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MediaPlay-Cordless-Mouse-Blue/dp/B0002SAF3C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-1294900-8486025?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194662824&sr=8-1

It's a pretty nice mouse for me because it has so many useful buttons. The receiver looks like a flash drive, but the mouse comes with a USB extension cable that angles the receiver upward when set on a flat surface. I just plug the receiver straight into the side of my laptop. I laid the thing down on the ground so I could get a fair distance away from it, and it seemed to work well up to 15'. Any farther than that, though, and the mouse skipped a lot, and movements of the mouse translated to button presses by the time the signals got to the receiver, causing my media player to shuffle through songs and change the volume.

- Collapse -
Go with Gyration

I've used every conceivable wireless KB and Mouse and none beats the range, portability and versatility of the Gyration wireless products. They are built for presentations where distance is critical and the gyro-mouse is a wonder to behold.

Good luck!

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for replying. You've all been a great help. I have some options to look into now.

- Collapse -
Wireless range

I have a Logitech Deluxe 660 Cordless Desktop and have found it to have an excellent range. My studio is 15ft x 15ft and I can move the keyboard and/or the mouse anywhere with excellent results. Just make sure you keep the batteries well charged (I use re-chargeables which last weeks before they start to run low).
A good trick is to have the transmitter as high as possible for best coverage. Mine is mounted up on a pole in the corner of the room about 7 feet up and I can move the keyboard or mouse anywhere in the room which is 15 feet square and into my kitchenette through a doorway and about 25 feet away and out of the line of sight with excellent results.
Pretty amazing range.
My Microsoft RF Wireless mouse (on another computer) cuts out when I get it more than a couple of feet away from the usb receiver.

- Collapse -
15 Meter range

CNET Forums

Forum Info