HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Issues

by Inquirer01 / November 14, 2010 6:30 AM PST

Hi

For the past month I've had trouble connecting to my wireless. I initially set up the wireless connection about 4 months ago and it was working fine. But for the past month I have been unable to connect to the wireless when I am in my room (I think its about 30 feet away from the router). If I am next to the router then the wireless is working fine.

When I am in my room, the wireless connection just fails. Occasionally my computer is unable to connect to the wireless even though it sees it. When I am connected, the connection is very slow, and many times I just get the message that it can't connect to the server. Even the most simple pages such as google.com fails.

I would think that the issue is with the wireless connection or router, but none of the others in this house are having any problems. Even my smartphone has no issue with the connection and the internet works fast on it.

I haven't made any changes to my computer or wireless connection that could explain the change. Two days ago, I restarted the wireless router hoping it would help, but it didn't. I also tested other wireless channels, but that made no difference.

My computer is a Dell Vostro 1500 with Windows 7. I use a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router.Before I had this problem, on a good day I could get speed of up to 10-15Mbps, on average the connection was about 6-7Mbps at a distance from the router. But I am currently getting speed of less than 1Mbps or nothing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless Issues

We have to keep in mind that wifi is a shared space transfer subject to interference and exploits.

You can try setting up the router per this forum's sticky (firmware, simple ssid, WPA/WPA2 PSK, etc.) But given only what I read so far I'm left to guess this is the same old WEP issue. Then again this could be that other hp dv6000/9000 issue. I wish I could find details like that in your post but I must have missed them.
Bob

Collapse -
Further information
by Inquirer01 / November 14, 2010 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Could be proper.

I shall attempt setting the router according to the forum's sticky, although I can't do it at the moment since my house mate needs the connection.

There is only one other person using the same wireless connection. When I had reset the wireless I few days ago, I also removed any security on it, but that made no difference.

Let me know if I need to mention anything else.

Collapse -
Edit.
by Inquirer01 / November 14, 2010 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Further information

Read the forum sticky. My setup is the same, except I use WEP rather than WPA. I have tested the connection without any security, but the internet is still slow.

Collapse -
WEP or no security.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Edit.

Could be slow as easy to use exploits hijack or interfere. Also there are other causes but I'm left to work with what's written here. Tell more such as it worked until "I did this." Also, make and model is always a factor. Witness the "too many to list" machines with failing wifi cards.
Bob

Collapse -
by Inquirer01 / November 14, 2010 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: WEP or no security.

"Could be slow as easy to use exploits hijack or interfere."
Sorry but I did not understand.

Unfortunately there is no "it worked until I did this" moment. I haven't downloaded any software or formatted my computer or changed any settings. It was working fine. It then become slow but not enough to worry me, and then it started to become too slow. I reset the router (the reset button at the back), and asked if my housemate was having issues with the connection (had none).

I am wondering if it has something to do with my wifi card failing. I'm not a fan of dell products. But for now I am trying to find another solution before I buy a new wifi card.

Collapse -
. It was working fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: Reply

Sorry but to explain all the problems with unsecured wifi would have me duplicate the web. It's a problem and it confused most since it can afflict one machine and not the others because the exploiting machine just luckily picked the MAC address to play with.

I've noted the cure and we are at post 7 without word that you tried it.

It's late so I'll check back later.
Bob

Collapse -
Reset Router
by Inquirer01 / November 17, 2010 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: . It was working fine.

Today I reset the router and used WPA security. The speed was slightly better but still low, and sometimes I get the unable to connect to a server message, when I am far from the router.

I decided to buy a new wifi card. Hopefully that works.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2010 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Reset Router

Sometimes that helps. But rarely if the distance is a tad too far away. I re-read the discussion and missed on the distances and concrete block walls inbetween.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.