Computer Help forum

General discussion

wireless issues!

by cterryrun / June 16, 2009 3:10 AM PDT

Hello
I just hooked up my home wireless network. One computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable I have 2 others computers and a itouch that is connected via wireless.

The problem is: Why is it when I try downloading a torrent the wireless shuts right off right away, I then have to unplug and plug in my router to get wireless working again. I have a 1 gig dsl speed, i'm increasing to 3 tomorrow, but is that the reason? But why would the wireless die like that?

Also while i was hooking up my home network my wireless would seem to die randomly, I would have to unplug and plug back in my router to get the wireless working. I fixed that problem by increase my wireless channel to 10 (2.457 MHZ)wireless power settings to 10 to support my 2 wireless computes and my itouch. Why would the wireless just cut off, I would think it would just act really slow or just not work instead of just killing my wireless.

It seems that I'm asking to much from my internet but why is it killing my wireless where I have to turn off/on my router just to get it working again.I'm a little new to networking so if anyone could point me in the right direction to learn more about the fundamentals of wireless?

Thanks for any help!!!
Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless issues!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless issues!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The short version
by Jimmy Greystone / June 16, 2009 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless issues!

The short version is that your router sucks, and it doesn't matter if you buy another router, it's probably going to suck in pretty much exactly the same way.

I'm not going to go into more detail because probably at least 99% of everything you might possibly be downloading via bittorrent is illegal. I don't have any particular problem with that, but figure the price of "free" is that you learn to support yourself.

Collapse -
So if all routers suck no router suck
by cterryrun / June 16, 2009 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: The short version

Yes the router is horrible! I just moved in and it's my roommates who never uses the internet, It is a 3 year old 2wire router. But why wouldn't it matter if I I bought another router? Do all routers suck in the same way, wouldn't that mean no routers suck?

Collapse -
Certainly Try Updating the Firmware On The Old Router Or...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

..purchasing a new router should help if the old one isn't functioning correctly.

But as mentioned earlier, using Torrents does tend to grab all of the bandwidth and bring things to a halt on the network..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Some not-so-harsh info
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 16, 2009 4:40 AM PDT

All wireless routers do not suck. That said, all wireless routers are not created equally and some might perform better than others. Also, you aren?t going to see the same speeds out of a wireless connection as you will a hard-wired connection ? that?s just the truth.

However, wireless computing is changing every day and new advancements are changing the way people look at untethered computing.

If you?re looking for a router for a Vista PC system, here?s a list from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Networking&subcategory=Wireless%20Routers.

Also, just to make sure you get the best experience possible, I?d recommend hitting up this link for info on setting up your wireless network: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/89adebd1-06a4-43ec-a33b-5964b436f96d1033.mspx.

Cheers

Collapse -
It's not the age
by Jimmy Greystone / June 16, 2009 5:04 AM PDT

It's not the age of the router that has anything to do with it, that actually likely works in your favor, but updating the firmware is unlikely to do anything to help with the problem.

It's just a case a perfect storm of the high resource demands of bittorrent meeting the ever dwindling resources supplied with routers. There is no quick and easy fix to this problem, except to not download things via bittorrent. Anyone who claims otherwise likely doesn't really understand the full scope of this issue.

Not trying to be harsh, but there's no good way to explain the situation without getting in way over most people's heads in terms of networking theory. So, while it might not be the most accurate way of explaining it, it does effectively drive the main point home when you say that all routers suck for torrenting.

Collapse -
Studying the subject of wireless
by cterryrun / June 16, 2009 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: It's not the age

Thanks for the info and thank you for that link, a lot of useful information in there!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.