HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Internet vs Wireless phone

by aadnub12 / May 3, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

I have a wireless network connection on my laptops and everytime we answer the phone (landline) the wireless connection will drop off. Not always but most of the time. The phone is 2.4 ghz

I am new to wireless and does any one have any ideas?

thanks

Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Internet vs Wireless phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Internet vs Wireless phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get other freq. cordless phone
by Gakada / May 3, 2006 12:35 AM PDT

your cordless phone and your wireless network using the same frequency... so it will interfere each other..

Get another cordless phone with different Frequency..

Collapse -
I changed my phone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 12:44 AM PDT

Back to 900MHz for me...

Collapse -
RE: Wireless Internet vs Wireless phone
by roxy29 / May 3, 2006 6:17 PM PDT

Isn't it nice when everything works together? Well don't expect your wireless router and cordless phone to play nice together. They both work in the 2.4Mhz range. I recently upgraded all my phones in my house to Uniden 5.8 Ghz phones. Now the only time I get kicked off the internet is when my wife does it.

Collapse -
Linksys advice
by Asigten / May 3, 2006 8:31 PM PDT

I received a suggestion from Linksys when I sought help setting up my Super-G wireless network. Select one of the high channels (10 or 11). That should get you away from the telephone band that lives on the low end (channels 1 or 2).

Collapse -
Change the freguency used by your wireless card and router
by richard1154 / May 3, 2006 8:44 PM PDT

The problem is is that both the wireless network (card and router) run on the same nominal frequency as most cordless phones (2.5gh). There are other wireless devices that also run on this frequency. The FCC actually set up 11 channels around the 2.5gh band numbered, not supprisingly, 1 to 11. Each one of these has a slightly different fequency. The default channel for wireless cards and routers is normally channel 11. However, the software for the router and card allows you to use any channel from 1 to 11. Unfortunately, many of them do not work on a wireless network. Normally, you can use channels 1, 6 and 11. Check the documentation that comes with the router and card to make the change. It is not complicated. The reason that you don't get interference all of the time is that the cordless phone is frequency agile. That is it will go through each channel to find the clearest signal. If it decides to use channel 11, interference will occur.

Collapse -
Problem
by Buzzb / May 3, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

Check your phone filters. Each telephone should have an inline filter. Make sure you did not miss one.

Collapse -
DSL Phone Filters
by jimward / May 4, 2006 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem

The phones may have inline filters if you have DSL, but won't just because you have a wireless router.

You can also put the DSL filter in the main line as you long as you split out a line to feed your DSL router before the filter (I did this at my church so I didn't have to put up with the individual filters).

Collapse -
Wireless Issue
by kurt4433 / May 3, 2006 10:56 PM PDT

As many have indicated, the interference between your phone and internet frequencies is the key. I had the same problem and recently acquired a Netgear MIMO wireless router with 7 internal antenna's, higher speed and coverage area. Linksys also has the MIMO technology. I selected Netgear due to the ability to redirect traffic to avoid interference from Phones, microwaves and/or anything else. I am delighted with the results. No more problems.

Collapse -
Change the channel
by kum oh / May 3, 2006 10:59 PM PDT

Hey Tom,
Are you connected wirelessly to a separate device such as an access point or a router or are your laptops connected wirelessly to each other? If device, log into your wireless device. Change the channel in your wireless settings to a different channel. (usually 1,6,or 11 works best) If connected directly, you should change the wireless interface card's ''ad hoc'' mode to reflect another channel (such as 1,6, or 11) If they don't do the trick, try other channels.
Or... upgrade to 5.8ghz phones.

Collapse -
2.4 gigahertz
by twpool / May 4, 2006 1:55 AM PDT

Both your wireless and phone and wireless phones are on the same frequency. The wireless phones are knocking your internet off. You can replace the phones with another frequency.

Collapse -
You might notice the same thing if running a Microwave oven
by JoeBoy / May 4, 2006 2:20 AM PDT

Microwave ovens also apparently share the same or similar frequency when operating. I had my wireless-enabled laptop in the kitchen (main floor), with my wireless setup in the basement, and, when heating up some pre-packaged food one day, noticed the wireless icon had changed to "searching for signal" mode... That stopped shortly after the oven went off.

Collapse -
Re: Wireless Internet vs Wireless phone
by mr_small144 / May 4, 2006 1:29 PM PDT

Replacing your cordless phone is a good idea but don't just get any phone, make sure you get a wireless friendly phone. I ran into the same problem and got a set from V-Tech and the issue went away.

Collapse -
2.4 Gigahertz cordless phones
by photoroo / May 7, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

The other guy who mentioned it is right. The most-used frequency on cordless phones is 2.4 gigahertz. And that interferes with your wireless network which utilzes the same frequency. You do need to buy a new cordless phone system with a different frequency to resolve your drop issues. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.