Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Internet Sharing Problem

by deljones / February 26, 2005 9:26 PM PST

Hmmm.

I have a small home wireless network. I have three computers. A desktop which has a broadband router connected to it and to the phone line. Inside the desktop is a wireless NIC. Two laptops roaming around the house with wireless cards. All three computers can see each other and the folders athat are shared with out any trouble at all. However the machine that can see the internet is the Box with the broadband router connected to it. If I set ICS to share it drops the internet connection.

Help what am I doing wrong??

All machines get a DHCP address from a wireless AP both the broadband router and all the computers are in the same subnet 192.168.etc.etc, 255.255.255

Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Internet Sharing Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Internet Sharing Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is not unusual>>>>
by Michael Geist / February 26, 2005 10:03 PM PST

"If I set ICS to share it drops the internet connection."

when a DHCP enabled router is being used. Either the router distributes the LANs IP addresses or ICS does, not both.

Collapse -
cool beans...
by enable123 / March 3, 2005 4:56 PM PST

I see that you are trying to share your internet connection from your first box to your two laptops. I'm assuming you have windows xp and you're using a dsl router/gateway that assigns an address that says "192.168.0.x" and if that's the case, then you must realize that windows, by default, also assigns a "192.168.0.x" address when you enable ICS. This will not work causing the two networks conflict with eachother. You may solve this problem by changing the address on the dsl router/gateway to "192.168.1.x" but it will make your first "box" a part of the "192.168.1.x" network and all the other computers a part of the "192.168.0.x" thus eliminating the ability of the computer using ICS to share files with the other computers.
Since you have an access point, you don't have to eliminate your first box from sharing files to your other computers.
If you have a dsl router/gateway or cable modem with only one ethernet port, you can connect it to the internet/WAN side of your wireless router - I call it a router because you say you can enable DHCP on it.
Be sure to change the IP address on the wireless router so that it's not the same as the dsl/cable modem kinda like the addresses above.
Once you have that established, none of your computers need to be plugged into wireless router and all should have access to the internet via the wireless router.
If it's truely just a plain old access point with no routing capabilities, then plug the ethernet port on the dsl/cable modem to the (it probably only has one if it's just an AP) ethernet port on the access point and you'll get DHCP from the dsl/cable modem.

hope that helped.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.