General discussion

Wireless Internet Router?

Hi,
So I'm currently a college student in the University housing and this year they told us they would be installing free internet. Yay right? Not so much, our apartment is a 'town house' and so our bedrooms are a flight of stairs from our living room, where they decided to put the internet router. The major problem? They didn't include a wireless router, and so if we want to use their 'free' , we have to use an ethernet cord in our living room. This is not convenient and so we were trying to figure out how to convert it into wireless... I know we have to get some sort of router but I'm not sure which kind...

Long story short:

What kind of router can be used to convert a router currently on ethernet to wireless?

Thanks ahead of time! Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Wireless Internet Router?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless Internet Router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Don't do it . . .

Installing a router behind a router can be done, but it's a major PITA. How about springing for a wireless router and swapping it with the wired router?

- Collapse -
Re: Don't do it

That sounds good except when I went down stairs I realized that its not an ethernet cable back there but a cable? I had assumed [wrongly] that it was an ethernet cable back there, is it still possible to just switch it out for an wireless router? :/ Do they make routers that convert a cable to wireless?

Sorrryyy! thank you!! Happy

- Collapse -
Doing it!

Now, right now I have the dual wifi router setup per the Cnet Networking Forum sticky.

Works great and fantastic coverage in the home.
Bob

- Collapse -
Wireless internet?

It sounds like you have a cable modem/router. It's easy to plug a wi-fi router behind it. I have two routers daisy chained behind a cable modem. Just don't buy a Belkin brand at Wal-Mart. For no problems, get Linksys (Cisco).

- Collapse -
Wish it was that simple.

My friend's Cisco Valet is not that great. Yes, it's an N router. No, it gets less speed and distance than his old Netgear G router.
Bob

- Collapse -
wireless router

I suggest you switch to 2wire modem which is a wireless modem and router at the same time. YOu can use it hardwired and wirelessly as well. But let me remind you that wireless internet capacity is only up to 50 feet and usually it gets weak signal when laptop is located on the basement. FYI

- Collapse -
Already did that.

Now on Uverse and all is good. Are you sure you meant to reply to me?

CNET Forums

Forum Info