Question

Wireless Internet for Health Clinic

I am opening a clinic and want to have wireless throughout the clinic. At first I thought that T1 was the way to go, but after reading some reviews it seems that cable with a router might function better. I will need to send faxes through the internet and the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) will also need the online access to function as I am not planning on having a server and going through Meditouch. Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful! Are there other options that would seem to work better? Is there any way to combine the phone lines with this as well if T1 is not a good option?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Wireless Internet for Health Clinic
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless Internet for Health Clinic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Faxes over the internet?

Since no fax machine is on the internet how do you intend to accomplish this? There are services such as some internet to fax but nothing I see for free past a trial.

As to T1, what happened to your IT director?
Bob

- Collapse -
Fax

Faxes come through EMR, which I pay for monthly. Looks like I am going to have to go with AT&T uverse fiber optics system.

- Collapse -
Internet services

The key difference between a t1 type service and other internet offerings is your guaranteed service level.

When you buy a service like this they do not use magic words like 20m maximum. They will say you get 1.5m up and down with 99.99% availability. They will come and fix it in the middle of the night on a holiday if necessary. These type of connections you get a contractually obligated throughput between your location and the core internet of that provider. Almost all over utilization issues happen on the last mile between your location and core not within the main network or even between the larger ISP.

This service level guarantee is what makes commercial internet more expensive. There are many other option other than a t1, att may be able to provide a guaranteed service over their fiber. For reasons I still can't tell in some cases I can get fractional ethernet for much less than a t1 with same guarantees for bandwidth and latency.

This all comes down to cost verse reliability and how much risk you can take.

- Collapse -
Thanks to bill you have a good explanation of SERVICE LEVEL

Some businesses don't need that and can get by with it working most of the time. Even DSL, fiber, and cable reliability is very high but when its down, you stay down until they get to it. You'll still need your IT director or such a position to deal with issues on site.
Bob

CNET Forums