HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Wireless Internet Connection Doesn't Work When First Connect

by ftopping91 / August 24, 2011 10:50 PM PDT

I've just had my internet set up and purchased a new Modem/Router. The internet is Charter Cable 18mbps. The Modem Router combo is a Motorola Surfboard model SBG901. Once connected the internet runs fast and smooth with no problems. The only problem is when I connect each time the connection initially gained and then loses internet access for a few seconds and then slowly gains connection back. It happens on multiple computers and consistently every time. It's a secured connection and we are currently allowing only 3 MAC addresses and blocking all others. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Internet Connection Doesn't Work When First Connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Internet Connection Doesn't Work When First Connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Well discussed issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

If you insist on MAC filtering you'll discover this issue on many routers. This is why I don't use that and use a simple router defaults and then change the SSID and then WPA2+AES.

Yes you can call the router maker and complain but that's up to you to decide if you have the time.
Bob

Collapse -
Security the issue?
by ftopping91 / August 25, 2011 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Well discussed issue.

I added MAC filtering as an attempt to fix the issue. It was doing the same thing before, I figured restricted access may make for a quicker connection. The current security is WPA-PSK, should I change this? I don't see WPA2+AES as an option but there is WPA2-PSK. The router defaults did the same issue, the issue was not changed with any of my changes.

Collapse -
Try WPA2 PSK but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Security the issue?

Looking around all I can find is "not much" is told about this model. If this was mine I think I'd add another router configured as a WAP if WPA2 or changing the WIFI channel does not help.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.