Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wireless help, no name for SSID

Hey all

I managed to established an ad-hoc connection between two computers, using static assigned IPs;

Dell Inspirion running XP home with D-Link XtremeG dwlg650 pc card;

Home PC running XP pro with D-Link XtremeG dwlg520 pci card /w a dialup connection;

Sometime it works and sometimes it doesnt. Recently, my problem was that even though both comps have connected to a SSID that has worked before, my PC connects to the SSID, but one, or both comps says it connects to a SSID that has no name (but they connect at the same time so its not a foreign connection), obviously I cant access either comp from the other because of this (PROBLEM ONE).

I've used Network Stumbler on my laptop to see that thats the only connection available, and even then it detects the SSID as blank... but the PC says it connects to the SSID i named.

Also, when this has happened, getting online from my PC on the dial up failed, in the sense that suddenly i couldn't access any internet data (msn, IE) until i disabled the PCI card. (PROBLEM TWO)

Lastly as a mention, I access the net from the other comps (one other standard PC through a wired connection, bridged, that has worked with the others as well) using analogx proxy, but this hasn't been a problem in the past. I use it because I can't get windows Internet Connection Sharing to work at all! I've been able to disconnect the PC with the internet connection remotely from the other computer, as it detects the connection, but it can't connect still (IE cant get to any pages). PROBLEM THREE, but not as important).

Any help with any of these issues would be GREATLY appreciated!
THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless help, no name for SSID
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless help, no name for SSID
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Wireless help, no name for SSID

In reply to: Wireless help, no name for SSID

While it's possible, wifi cards weren't meant to operate in an ad-hoc fashion like that, they really are designed to operate with a wireless access point of some kind.

Things would be a lot better if you picked up an 802.11g router and used that for communications between your systems. You can pick up the D-Link DI-624 (the router counterpart to your wifi cards) for about $80 last I checked. The DI-524, which doesn't have the 108Mbps mode capability is around $50 as I recall. But any 802.11g router should work, and will make your life a lot easier.

Collapse -
Re: Wireless help, no name for SSID

In reply to: Re: Wireless help, no name for SSID

Well i wanted to avoid a router cause they're relatively more expensive than the cards (i'm also in canada, so there the currency exchange to keep in mind: $100 for the di624, $90 for di524) and i thought ad-hoc would be enough.

but i rather try without it

Collapse -
ADHOC and speed = grade B speed.

In reply to: Wireless help, no name for SSID

What may infuriate some is that ADHOC mode relegates almost all 802.11G cards/dongles/things to 11 mbps. It's in the spec and that's that.

My only inputs are...

1. latest firmware all around.
2. latest drivers all around.
3. firewalls can be an issue. Learn to know how yours works.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: ADHOC and speed = grade B speed.

In reply to: ADHOC and speed = grade B speed.

well i think the network status says its running at 54mbps.

otherwise im pretty sure i have the lastest firmware and drivers

my firewall (zonealarm and kerio) did cause problems at first but i fixed those.

I've heard about some atheros (chipset) drivers, which might fix a crashing problem but i dont know where to find them, and i can avoid the crashing by not using the d-link utilities.

Collapse -
Re: ADHOC and speed = grade B speed. DOCUMENTED

In reply to: Re: ADHOC and speed = grade B speed.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1482&question=adhoc
"Why can?t I get the advertised speed and performance when in Ad-Hoc mode?

This FAQ applies to 802.11b, 802.11g, and Super G? products.

D-Link wireless products follow the IEEE 802.11 standards. The 802.11b and 802.11g standards specify that Ad-Hoc mode only needs to support up to 11Mbps. For best results, use an access point or wireless router and set your adapters to Infrastructure (station) mode."

As to your cost statement, my dlink g wifi router was 38 bucks. They are not that much money.

Bob
Collapse -
Re: ADHOC and speed = grade B speed. DOCUMENTED

In reply to: Re: ADHOC and speed = grade B speed. DOCUMENTED

Yea i read that article, yet my network status still says 54mbps...

Actually the Dlink Di624 retails for 100 CDN here in canada, unless i get a deal off ebay which i could but for nothing less than 50-60 CDN

The ad-hoc should work i just want to solve the above mentioned problems

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.