Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wireless g versus N?

by jimv61 / February 10, 2008 4:19 AM PST

I have a small home network using an old Linksys b router than I need to update (I get great internet speed through the ethernet ports, but <300kbps wireless after updating firmware, etc.). Needed to update anyway as the b signal barely reaches far end of house.

I have Sony and Dell laptops both purchased in the last 6 months that both have a/g/n internal wi-fi. No one in the house games or streams movies, so speed not a real priority, just need better distance and good web surfing.

Should I jump to an N router or save some money and go with one of the g routers with SRX? That is, assuming that the network cards in my Sony and Dell will work with SRX?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless g versus N?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless g versus N?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(got cut off)............
by jimv61 / February 10, 2008 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: wireless g versus N?

I have Sony and Dell laptops both purchased in the last 6 months that both have a/g/n wifi cards built in. No one in house games or steams video, so just need good, reliable service for internet surfing and good range.

Should I jump right to N now for range, or save some money and get a g with SRX, assuming that the cards in my laptops work with SRX, which I don't know??

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: wireless g versus N?

My router is a simple 802.11g unit but since I follow the advice about where to place it (not in the basement!) I can connect to it 2 houses down the street about 200 feet away. Many times I find the router in the basement or on the floor.

Your 802.11b gear is dated so in my opinion any current router should do fine.

What am I using? The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running OpenWRT.

Collapse -
by jimv61 / February 11, 2008 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

I maybe somewhat guilty...I don't have a basement (Florida), and my house is only 1 story, but the router is in the computer cabinet under the computer and only about 2 feet of the floor. Can raising it higher and getting it farther away from the computer really make that big a diff? Incidently, I went ahead and replaced the b with an N and still have the same issues with speed, which didn't show up on the b till a week or so ago, so I'm thinking the cable modem or something else must be the problem not the router. But it is odd that I get such good connection speed when using the router's ethernet ports but not on wireless. Read lots of online answers about this, but never seem to find an answer that fits.

Collapse -
"in the computer cabinet"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe....

That's not good. We have a forum sticky about the settings we endorse. Try those.

Collapse -
where can I find the settings
by cnetter21 / February 21, 2008 2:51 PM PST

Where is the sticky b/c I would like to see the recommended settings.

Collapse -
Top of the forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 9:47 PM PST

If you look at the forum postings it's at the top.

Collapse -
wireless router location
by jackj59 / September 20, 2010 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Top of the forum.

If it's in the Start Here for Tips thread, I see no mention of location suggestions. The only reference I found re: a basement was one of the posters saying that he DID have his located in his basement.
So, could someone point one to tips on where to best locate one's wireless router?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?