Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wireless DSL with AT&T 2Wire Inability to Connect Issue

by flosamuels / October 8, 2009 2:41 AM PDT

I have DSL through AT&T. My computer is a Compaq, about 4 years old. Windows XP. I currently use a 2Wire 1000SW for wireless with a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter. This setup does not require ethernet cable. I tried to upgrade to a 2Wire 2701, which does require an ethernet cable and it won't connect. Although I set up the new connection with the SSID and WEP, my system will not recognize the new connection (ie display it in View Available Wireless Networks) in order to connect. When I disconnected the 2701 and reconnected the 1000SW, a third 2wire came up that I had never set up. However after rebooting the 1000SW connection came up and I could reconnect to the internet.

So here is my question. AT&T technical help said the problem was that my wireless adapter, the Linksys, was not working. Which is obviously ridiculous as it is working right now. Therefore, since the only difference in the 2Wire boxes is the Ethernet cable, is it possible that the problem is the Ethernet card? According to my specs, my system has a VIA RHine II Fast Ethernet adapter, driver 3.41.0.426. Do I just need to upgrade this adapter with a newer driver or get the adapter AT&T recommends, the 10 Bast-T NIC card?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless DSL with AT&T 2Wire Inability to Connect Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless DSL with AT&T 2Wire Inability to Connect Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just to clarify
by Jimmy Greystone / October 8, 2009 3:59 AM PDT

Just to clarify, why is it you're running both an ethernet cable AND a wireless connection to the same system/router combo?

Collapse -
Just to clarify
by flosamuels / October 8, 2009 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Just to clarify

Re: Just to clarify, why is it you're running both an ethernet cable AND a wireless connection to the same system/router combo?

I'm running an ethernet connection to the wireless router because that is how the instructions say to set it up. The instructions state to connect the phone line to the 2Wire 2701 then connect the ethernet cable to the computer. It sounded pretty wacky to me but that connection was reiterated by the AT&T 2Wire tech support. Since the 2Wire 2701 IS a wireless modem/router, I figured they might know what they are talking about. I tried to set it up without the ethernet cable but no go.

Collapse -
If there are no letter after the 2701,
by ahtoi / October 8, 2009 3:33 PM PDT

then it is not a wireless model. You need a cat cable connection.

Collapse -
Sure
by Jimmy Greystone / October 8, 2009 11:22 PM PDT

Sure, but you don't want to be running BOTH a wired and wireless connection at the same time. That's just going to cause problems. Pick one, and I'd recommend the wired, and stick with it.

Collapse -
2701 Issues Reply from Original
by flosamuels / October 9, 2009 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure

OK, first, the 2Wire is a RG2701HG-00.
Second, the ethernet cable connects between the 2701, which is a wireless router, and the computer. Where else would you connect the ethernet cable if not through the 2701? Directly into the phone line? Otherwise, you are using a wireless router to go wired. Doesn't make any sense.
Third, I have to have wireless in case other people in the house get computers. That was the reason for the old 2Wire 1000SW in the first place.
Fourth, the old 2Wire did not need an ethernet cable even though it has an ethernet socket. So why does the new 2Wire need an ethernet cable?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.