Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Connectivity

by Torwadeo / March 24, 2004 12:11 AM PST

Hi

I recently installed a belkin wireless router on the second floor of my house and a belkin wireless notebook card on my laptop which is in the basement two floors down. My signal strengh is pretty erradic. It goes from 99% and superfast to 34% and kind of slow to no connectivity at all. Is there anything you can do to improve the signal without moving the computer? Or is this just a nuisance that you learn to deal with? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Connectivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Connectivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Wireless Connectivity
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2004 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless Connectivity

This is quite normal. To stabilize the setup I either move the wireless router closer to the laptop or set the connection to a 1 megabit speed so it doesn't try to go too fast.

Moving the base unit might be as simple as moving it to the floor (it could be on top of a desk) or trying different corners of the room its in.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Wireless Connectivity
by Torwadeo / March 24, 2004 9:24 PM PST

Thanks for the info. How do you set the connection speed to 1 megabit? I have windows XP home edition and a belkin wireless card. Thanks

Collapse -
no standard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2004 10:03 PM PST

I have the Linksys and on a right click properties there is a connection speed setting. I use the "limit to" option and can get about 500 feet away when I do that.

bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!