Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Connection with Verizon Fios

by swexler / August 31, 2007 3:03 AM PDT

I recently had Verizon Fios installed in my home. My wife and I have laptops that connect to the wireless router fairly well when in the same room as the wireless router. But once we go to a different room in the house, we lose the connection fairly frequently.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fios router that might be able to help? Can I buy a range booster to enhance the range of the router? Can you suggest one that works well?

We are changing our cordless phones from 2.4 to 5.8 Ghz. But the phone is not the main source of the problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Connection with Verizon Fios
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Connection with Verizon Fios
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I tried to read about this
by PudgyOne / August 31, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

Verizon says it's superfast.

Some questions for you.

Does Verizon provide a wireless router for you?

If so, do you have the name brand and model number. It may be that the firmware in the wireless router is old and needs updated.

Broadcast SSID
Use WPA Personal security

Use nothing else.

I have the cheap version of Verizon DSL(up to 768kb) and I use a Netgear Wireless router. I updated the firmware, broadcast the SSID and use WPA Personal security and I never get disconnected.

Rick

Collapse -
Verizon Fios Wireless
by swexler / August 31, 2007 9:40 AM PDT

The service comes with a wireless router. I don't know the type of router. All I know is it loses connection when we leave the room it is in.

Collapse -
I'm current'y using mine right now...
by TheJawn / August 31, 2007 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Fios Wireless

I'm on my Fios network right now, 1 story up, and on the other side of the house. You may want to check to see if the antenna is plugged in all the way. Although I doubt thats the problem, give it a shot. You may want to call of verizoff and see if they can help you troubleshoot.

It maybe on your side of the connection, have you used these wireless cards with other routers before?

Collapse -
Yes...
by swexler / August 31, 2007 9:38 PM PDT

Yes...We have used the laptops with a Linxys router without issue.

Any other advice?

Collapse -
So what you're saying is
by PudgyOne / September 1, 2007 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

you setup looks like this

wall > Verizon Fios > Linksys router > wired/wireless

Then you need to update the firmware in the Linksys router
enable SSID
use WPA Personal security.

I would also find a central location for the routers. Another thing is to check the channels. I have a lot of neighbors that started using internet. I use channel 11, they are using, 10, 6, 3 and 1. I never get disconnected using WPA Personal security.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.