Question

Wireless Connection Turned Slow From One Day To Another

Note: This is a crosspost. The other post can be found here.

Hello,
My wireless connection became very slow about a week ago, and I don't know why.

Info:
[*]Internet Service Provider: Time Warner
[*]Router Model: Netgear N600 WNDR3700v2

Symptoms:Wireless connection on the other side of the apartment used to be ~16 megabits/second, is now ~2 megabits/second or fails to load any pages.

Things I've Tried:
[*]Changing the channel. No speed difference.
[*]Checking for intruders. No devices listed that are not supposed to be there.
[*]Checking for trojans on connected computers. Which computers are currently turned on does not affect the speed at all.
[*]Talking to Time Warner about my connection. The modem works perfectly fine, the problem is that the signal is not strong enough.
[*]Moving possible sources of interference in the apartment around. No avail.

What do you think is the cause of the speed drop? Thank you very much.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Wireless Connection Turned Slow From One Day To Another
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless Connection Turned Slow From One Day To Another
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Just to be clear.

It's fine if you are in the same room as the WiFi router or source?

Given how neighbors can put in some 802.11n router and not set it to be neighbor friendly (sorry but I'll let you research that issue) you are left with using the laptop in that room or installing more hardware.

The best solution I use is a powerline bridge and a second router configured as a WAP. The high price on that is just under 200 bucks. But it does solve it.

I can't find much about the settings so try the router/thing defaults and then a simple ALPHAnumeric SSID (do not hide it) and then move to WPA2 AES personal security and see what happens.

If the router has an auto select for the channel, use that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Wireless Alternatives

The connection in the same room as the router seems to be just a bit faster than the connection on the other side of the apartment used to be.

Why would you need both a powerline bridge and a WAP, isn't one enough? Which one is easier to set up / more effective (I just did some research, but I'd like an opinion from someone who implemented it). Do powerlines work in America?

We already have a non-hidden SSID with WPA.

Using the auto channel is how it was when it became slow, and that doesn't help either.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- Collapse -
Why do I need a WAP with the bridge?

Because the bridge I use is just that. It has no WiFi. There were powerline bridges that did have WiFi in one end but as WiFi is an evolving product, I wanted a bridge that was independent of the WAP.

Why I use a router as a WAP is simple. I can get routers by the boatload for about half the price of a WAP alone.
Bob

- Collapse -
How's the WAP speed?
- Collapse -
In my case it's 54Mbps.

The bridges are usually 100+ Mpbs and for compatibility I set the WiFi to 802.11g so everything works and is neighbor friendly. Since it's rare to see any internet connection to go much faster than this, it's never an issue. You can set the router up as you wish. That is, if you have an 802.11n router, you can opt for that speed.

I see you opted for WPA security. Why stop there since given today's tools I can connect to that without you knowing.
Bob

- Collapse -
What's wrong with WPA?

Sorry, I meant WPA2 with AES, I just didn't type it all out. I hope that's ok.

- Collapse -
WPA is cracked in a short time.

Even I own the little kit to crack it courtesy of the office I work at. We did some work on a system where the client had dug in their heels on some issue and we suspected some intrusions. There was a pile of money at stake so we got the little kit so we could demonstrate "live" that WPA was not secure enough. Not only that but we spoofed the MAC address so any intrusion detection would not detect us.

The results spoke for themselves. I doubt we would have gone that far if there was little money involved.
Bob

- Collapse -
Back to the topic

By the way, to anyone viewing this, I'm still open to suggestions or tips about my connection.

- Collapse -
Solutions.

Try another router. Try adding a router as a WAP (even at my home with have that second router as a WAP to get more from our internet connection). And we always have the bridges.
Bob

CNET Forums